Grimsby Town 2-1 Bolton Wanderers: Mariners keep survival hopes afloat with shock win over Wanderers
Photo by Visionhaus / Getty Images 

Bottom of the table Grimsby Town kept their League Two survival hopes alive thanks to a shock victory against promotion chasers Bolton Wanderers

A first minute goal from Jay Matete and a late second from Ira Jackson Jr was enough to give Paul Hurst's side the three points on an afternoon where they dominated their high flying opponents. 

Despite managing to score a late goal, Bolton were left frustrated on an day to forgot for the Lancashire team.  

Story of the match 

High-flying Bolton came into the tie with ambitions of claiming League Two's top spot, however, they were left stunned when their bottom of the table hosts took a surprise early lead. 

With midfielder Jay Matete gave the Mariners the lead after less than 30 seconds when he was laid off by Lenell John-Lewis on the edge of the box and fired into the far corner of the goal. 

Grimsby then continued to dominate the early stages of the game and missed a great chance to double their lead after eight minutes when Harry Clifton picked out James Hanson with space in the box before his powerful shot sailed just over the bar. 

Shortly after, Bolton goalkeeper Matt Gilks produced an excellent save to deny Matete a second goal when his thunderous strike from the edge of the box was just tipped over the crossbar by the veteran stopper in the 13th minute. 

The frantic nature of the games early stages eventually began to die down but Paul Hurst's side continued to enjoy the majority of goal scoring chances, coming close once again when Hanson blocked a clearance from Gilks and crossed the ball into Matete who's header bounced narrowly wide of the post. 

The Wanderers improved markedly after the break, Kieran Lee nearly getting them an equaliser just after half-time when he was played in after some good work down the right hand side by Lloyd Isgrove before his low shot was well saved by ‘keeper James Mckeown. 

The Lancashire side then missed comfortably their best chance of the match when following a corner and a resulting scramble in the box, the ball fell to Eoin Doyle who missed from point blank range thanks to a superb reflex save with 58 minutes gone. 

Grimsby put the result beyond any doubt in the 86th minute however, when Ira Jackson Jr poked home to double the lead from just two yards out after the ball fell into his path following a rebound in the box. 

Ian Evatt's team did mange to grab a late consolation goal when Shaun Miller smashed home after Mckeown punched the ball into his path in the 96th minute, though Miller's goal came too late for the Whites to capitalise, the defeat seeing them remain in third place but now four points off top spot.

Meanwhile, the three points aids Grimsby's hopes of a great escape as they cut the gap to safety down to four points with five games to go. 

Man of the Match - Jay Matete

In what was billed as a must win game for struggling Grimsby, Matete produced likely his best performance of the season to inspire his team to a desperately needed three points. 

His first minute goal, also his first ever goal for the Mariners, set the tone for game where Grimsby managed to thoroughly outplay the side 21 places ahead of them in the table. 

Matete consistently found himself in dangerous positions in the Bolton half, and will count himself unlucky to have only come away with one goal to his name.