Forest Green Rovers 4-3 Newport County (4-5 on aggregate): Maynard extra time winner seals County win in chaotic play-off second leg
Photo by Tony Marshall / Getty Images

An 119th minute winner from Nicky Maynard was enough to seal Newport County's place in the League Two play-off final after a frantic semi-final second leg against Forest Green Rovers at a rain-swept New Lawn Stadium. 

Goals from Ebou AdamsLewis Collins and  Nicky Cadden had initially seen Forest Green overturn the deficit from the first leg before a stunning goal from Kevin Ellison got Newport back into the game and eventually lead to Maynard's last gap winner.     

Story of the match 

Having come into the match two goals down following Tuesdays first leg, Forest Green had a mountainous task ahead of them, but, thanks to an incredible passage of play in the games early stages in which they managed to score twice in the space of 90 seconds, they were able to level the aggregate scoreline within just the first eight minutes. 

With firstly, Adams netting for the Greens in the seventh minute after his glancing header from a Cadden corner beat Tom King in the Newport goal, reducing the deficit to just one. 

Then just seconds later, striker Collins squared up the encounter after poking home from short range after getting on the end of a long range pass from the deep from Baily Cargill

Having taken control of the game, the Rovers then came close to getting themselves ahead in first half stoppage time when a powerful low strike from Collins was denied only be an excellent reflex save from King. 

Forest Green would not have to wait to much longer for a third goal however, with Cadden scoring after his free kick from the deep was missed by everyone in the box before nestling in the corner of the goal in the 53rd minute. 

As the second half continued the rainfall did not relent and the playing conditions began to rapidly deteriorate.

Despite this though it would to be a piece of magic that would get Newport back into the tie, with substitute Ellison becoming the oldest play-off goal-scorer ever, at the age of 42, when his curling shot from 25 yards clipped the underside of the bar before finding it's way into the bottom corner with 70 minutes gone. 

And then six minutes later the game was once again turned on its head when Joss Labadie put the Exiles back in front on aggregate with a good close range finish after being played in by low cross from Ryan Haynes.

The lead would not last long though as Jimmy Ball's team managed to get back on level terms again with 87 minutes gone when top scorer Jamille Matt flicked on a header towards the back post after getting on the end of a good cross from Odin Bailey

Matt's goal meant that the game went into extra time, and it would ultimately be decided by an 119th minute winner from sub Nicky Maynard after he was played through by a pinpoint long ball from Lewis Collins, before rounding the goalkeeper and calmly finishing into the empty net. 

The aggregate scoreline means that County will progress to the play-off final at Wembley where they will face Morecambe

Man of the match - Kevin Ellison 

Having come on in the 62nd minute when his side were 3-0 down and on the brink elimination from the play-offs, the 42-year-old managed to totally change the game. 

His stunning goal got his side back into the game and was without doubt was the catalyst for Newport's late comeback. 

Ellison was also key as the game entered its closing stages, using all of his experience to help his side manage the match successfully and ensure that they didn't find themselves behind once again.