A narrow defeat for Leicester City against Wycombe Wanders in their second pre season match
James Maddison looked to provide chances to take the lead in the second half. 
(Image from https://www.LCFC.com)

Leicester City faced League One side Wycombe Wanderers in their second pre season game ahead of the 2021/22 campaign. The foxes continued their match day preparation in Surrey, before arriving at Adams Park.

In a pre-match interview, James Maddison spoke highly of teams professionalism, hunger and determination as Leicester prepare for their pre season friendlies.

"That's the kind of mentality we create here, but it's about the physical element as well and getting that balance right, so it's one we're looking forward to," the number 10 told LCFC TV ahead of the Wycombe Wanderers game.

More Minutes in the Bank

Similar to the previous game against Burton Albion, Brendan Rogers named a large squad with the aim of getting 45 minutes under their belts. The XI created a flurry of excitement online, at the prospect of talisman Jamie Vardy and new boy Patson Daka starting their first game together. Lille transfer Boubakary Soumare and academy graduate Tawanda Maswanhise were also included on the starting team sheet.

At the slightly later kick off of 7:45, the foxes were underway at Adams Park in their new away shirt. The game was goalless at 20 minutes, with the better chances falling to the Chairboys. Adebayo Akimfenwa caused a few issues for the Leicester back line, but they showed good defensive awareness to shut down any threatening challenges.

Academy Youngster Impresses Again

After some well worked passing, a chance fell to Vardy from a tight angle, but David Stockdale made the save from close range. Youngster  Maswanhise also looked very comfortable and showed great confidence when attacking down the wing. Leicester had a few opportunities from Rachid Ghezzal's precise set pieces, however they failed to covert their headers and the first half finished 0-0.

Once substitions from both sides had been made, the second half commenced. Leicester started very positively thanks to the technical passing of Kieran Dewsbury-Hall, Thanawat Suengchittawon and James Maddison, controlling play in the middle of the park.

Unfortunately Suengchittawon suffered an ankle injury, forcing the 21 year old off early, after showing promising signs. He was replaced by Vontay Daley-Campbell 60 minutes into the game. 

The Blue Army continued to grow in confidence, where their precise passing created chances for Maddison and Kelechi Iheanacho, however both chances were denied in the end.

Wycombe applied plenty of pressure on the visitors, through Anis Mehmeti and Scott Kashket. The Chairboys broke the deadlock with a calm finish from Daryl Horgan, as Leicester failed to clear their lines decisively. With only a half chance falling to Marc Albrighton at the end, the final whistle commenced.

The game finished 1-0 thanks to the goal from the Irishman Horgan and Wycombe ended their evening on a bang, with a fireworks display to welcome their fans back.

Leicester City will travel to to Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium next, as they take on Queens Park Rangers in their final pre season match on the road. The foxes will hope to continue their match fitness before facing Villarreal at the King Power stadium on 4th August.