Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Lincoln City: Nothing to separate Rovers and Imps in close encounter
Nlundulu and Olowu fight for possession (Photo by Andrew Vaughan - CameraSport via Getty Images)

Doncaster Rovers made it four games unbeaten despite still being in the relegation zone as they drew 0-0 against Lincoln City at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Anthony Scully and Dan Nlundulu had the best chances for the visitors who were the better side in the first half, but it was the hosts who had opportunities to snatch all three points late on.

Story of the match

The Imps had the opening chance of the match, as Scully picked the ball up from a loose clearance and shot from inside the box but could only scuff his effort wide.

Kyle Knoyle had Doncaster’s first shot from range, but it was comfortably saved by Joshua Griffiths in goal for Lincoln.

There was a heart in mouth moment for Joseph Olowu as he slipped with Nlundulu looking to take the ball off him and put himself in on goal, but the Rovers defender was able to regain control just in time to clear the danger.

The English defender fell over again minutes later and this time Nlundulu was in, but Olowu atoned for his error to put The Imps’ striker off and force his effort wide when Nlundulu was seemingly in on goal.

The English striker continued to provide a threat to Richie Wellens’ side, as he cut in from the left-hand side and fired a shot over the bar.

Louis Jones made a superb save for Doncaster to deny Lasse Sorenson as the game approached half time. The Dane directed a diving header on target from the back post, but Rovers’ goalkeeper was equal to it, producing a fingertip save to keep the game level.

Embed from Getty Images

Scully looked for a penalty just before the break for the visitors, but the referee waved the appeals away.

The Irishman had a great chance to score soon after, but he hesitated and his angle to shoot at was closed off as a result. The resulting backheel came to nothing for Lincoln.

The game was goalless at the interval, with the better chances falling for Michael Appleton’s side, but despite the visitors having the better chances and more of the ball, the game had lacked real chances and the score line at the break seemed fair.

Half time score: Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Lincoln City

There was a moment of contention to start the second half, as Jon Taylor knocked the ball past Adam Jackson, who slid in and brought his man down well after the ball was past him. The Rovers fans wanted to see a red card produced but Jackson escaped with a yellow.

Lewis Fiorini’s long range shot for The Imps went high and wide as the game approached the hour mark.

A cross was cleared only as far as Ethan Galbraith for Doncaster, whose header looped over the bar.

There were very few chances for either side midway through the second half, as both sides struggled to threaten their opponents.

In the last ten minutes of the game Aidan Barlow was unlucky not to put Wellens' side in front. His long-range strike was just about palmed over the bar by Griffiths.

Substitute Tiago Cukur had a great chance to win the game late on for Doncaster, as he received the ball at the back post but with Lincoln players throwing themselves at the ball, he couldn’t get a shot away from close range.

Joe Dodoo aimed a cross for Galbraith late on but he couldn’t connect with it.

Doncaster’s top goal scorer in all competitions was on the end of a cross with seconds to go, but could only direct his header wide.

It ended goalless at the Keepmoat Stadium, with Doncaster unable to get a late winner which would’ve been a huge boost in their bid for survival in League One this season.

Doncaster Rovers: Jones, Knoyle, Anderson, Olowu, Rowe, Taylor (Cukur 69’), Bostock (Barlow 45’), Dodoo, Galbraith, Vilca (Hasani 90’), Horton.

Lincoln City: Griffiths, Poole, Montsma, Jackson, Maguire, Scully (Adelakun 68’), McGrandles, Fiorini, Nlundulu (Draper 76’), Sorenson, Robson.

Referee: Robert Lewis.