QPR 0-0 Swansea City: R's frustrated by Swans in goalless draw
Ben Cabango is pressed by Luke Amos (Photo by Chloe Knott - Danehouse/Getty Images)

QPR were held to a 0-0 draw at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium by Swansea City in a dent to their bid for automatic promotion. 

The R's were unable to properly challenge Ben Hamer in goal for The Swans, and were made to pay the price as they dropped two points on Tuesday night. 

Lyndon Dykes had a great chance to win the game for the hosts late on, but he was unable to secure what would have been a vital three points for Mark Warburton's side.

Swansea midfielder Flynn Downes was also sent off in added time for a second bookable offence. 

Story of the match

There was concern for Moses Odubajo early on when he was on the receiving end of a heavy challenge, but he was able to play on.

There was nearly a mix-up at the back for The R’s when ‘keeper David Marshall rushed off his line to clear the ball, but the ball was taken by Rob Dickie under pressure for QPR, which he was able to clear with the goal gaping.

New signing Cyrus Christie cut in from the right-hand side for The Swans and shot, but his effort was blocked.

Ben Cabango had to be alert to prevent QPR stealing possession by pressing the backline, making a sliding challenge to avert the danger.

Joel Latibeaudiere thought he had fashioned an opening for the visitors, but the flag was up against him as he looked to cross.

Joel Piroe looked to add to his impressive tally for the season with a headed effort, but it went wide with the Dutchman ruled offside anyway.

Christie was able to skilfully beat his man and cross into the box for The Swans, but it was turned behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Charlie Austin had a great chance to put QPR in front, as he found himself unmarked, but his header from close range went straight at Hamer.

The former Southampton and West Brom striker was flagged offside after, but replays appeared to indicate the striker had beaten The Swans’ offside trap.

Embed from Getty Images

Yoann Barbet took a free kick from range for the hosts, but he was unable to challenge Hamer in goal, with his strike hitting the wall.

Hamer was lucky to escape unpunished just before the interval as he flapped at a cross that was not met by a QPR player.

The game was goalless at the break, with Warburton’s QPR side unable to really threaten The Swans in the first half and they were 45 minutes away from dropping two vital points in their push for promotion.

Half time score: QPR 0-0 Swansea City

In the second half, Barbet tried to get himself on the end of a deep cross but he could not quite get his header on target.

David Marshall made a smart stop at his near post to deny a Piroe effort.

From the resulting corner Cabango found himself unmarked, but he skewed his header after failing to make a clean connection with the ball, allowing for a comfortable save for The R's stand-in keeper. 

Barbet's short header back to his keeper nearly gifted Downes the chance to open the scoring, but Marshall was on hand to claim the ball.  

Former Tottenham Hotspur  midfielder Luke Amos burst forward down the right-hand side and smashed the ball against the post as he looked to break the deadlock for The R's. 

QPR were under pressure soon after, as on the hour mark a series of chances ended with Korey Smith rolling the ball wide for The Swans. 

Jay Fulton clashed with Austin as the game entered the final 20 minutes, as the Scottish midfielder took issue with a high boot in a challenge from Austin. 

Stefan Johansen was booked soon after for a late challenge in a showing of frustration from the hosts. 

Substitute Lyndon Dykes found himself with space and time in the 84th minute in the best chance of the game, but the QPR striker could only put his shot straight at the goalkeeper. 

Michael Obafemi had the ball in the net very late in the game, as he placed the ball past Marshall, but he strayed offside as he received the ball and the goal was ruled out. 

In added time there was another coming together, this time between Austin and Downes, which saw the Swansea midfielder dismissed for a second bookable offence. 

The R's were unable to take advantage of their temporary numerical advantage however, as the game ended 0-0 in a missed opportunity to put pressure on the automatic promotion places for QPR. 

QPR: Marshall, Odubajo, Dickie, Dunne, Barbet, Wallace (Adomah 60'), Amos (Dykes 60'), Field, Johansen, Willock (Thomas 82'), Austin.

Swansea: Hamer, Christie, Cabango, Naughton, Manning, Latibeaudiere, Downes, Grimes, Smith, Wolf (Fulton 66'), Piroe (Obafemi 66').

Referee: Andy Davies.