Hamburger SV have completed the signing of Douglas Santos from Brazilian side Atlético Mineiro on a fee estimated to be €7 million.
The agreement was reached shortly before the German transfer window closed on Wednesday, where it was confirmed the 22-year-old had signed a five-year deal with the Bundesliga club.
“I’m very happy to move to here,” Santos told the club’s official website. “The club has welcomed me warmly. I’m looking forward to playing in this stadium in front of the fans.
“I must also thank my family and my old club Atlético Mineiro. Through all the difficult times I have had, they have supported me.”
The youngster also told the club’s website that he looks forward to plying his trade in the Bundesliga – despite not being able to speak German – after watching the league in his home country.
“Everything will be new for me in Germany,” added Santos. “My past experiences in Europe will help me adjust.
“I followed the Bundesliga in Brazil and I thank god that I can play here now. I hope it will be a good experience,” said the 22-year-old.
Santos already has match fitness this season due to the fact that the Brazilian league start before those in Europe. The left-back had started nine games for Atlético Mineiro –notching two assists – this season before his move to Hamburg
Brazil win gold at Rio 2016 Olympics
Santos won a gold medal in Brazil at the Rio Olympic Games after his Brazil side beat Germany in the final earlier this month.
Should Hamburger SV sell the Brazilian, then they will owe Atlético Mineiro a percentage of his future fee, the club confirmed.
Busy transfer window for HSV
The addition of Santos sees him join the team alongside Alen Halilovic and Filip Kostic, both of whom confirmed their move to the north of Germany during the summer.
Bruno Labbadia has now spent €35 million over summer, as they look to improve on last season’s 10th place finish.