Stefan Ruthenbeck replaced by Janos Radoki at Greuther Fürth

The 2. Bundesliga club have parted company with the 44-year-old following a run of just one win in seven games.

Stefan Ruthenbeck replaced by Janos Radoki at Greuther Fürth
Photo: Getty/TF-Images

SpVgg Greuther Fürth announced on Monday that they have parted company with head coach Stefan Ruthenbeck, as well as his assistant Michael Schiele.

The decision comes after the side’s defeat to Dynamo Dresden on Sunday, their six defeat in the last seven games, leaving the Shamrocks three points and three places above the 2. Bundesliga bottom three.

Ruthenbeck will be replaced by under-19 coach Janos Radoki, who will be in place until at least the winter break.

Just one win since September

Ruthenbeck had been in charge for 16 months, after replacing Mike Büskens, following the latter’s second spell at the club, in the summer of 2015.

Last season he led them to a solid ninth-place finish, albeit 19 points off third and the promotion play-off spot, which was occupied by their biggest rivals 1. FC Nürnberg.

However the side’s form this season has fallen away in the last few weeks, with just one win in the league since their derby victory over Nürnberg in September, the 2-1 victory over VfL Bochum at the beginning of November. They did though manage a surprise win over 1. FSV Mainz 05 in the DFB-Pokal in October.

Ultimately, Ruthenbeck won just 19 of his 50 games in charge of the club, with 22 losses.

Janos Radoki has a 39% win record for the under-19 side. | Photo: SpVgg Greuther Fürth
Janos Radoki has a 39% win record for the under-19 side. | Photo: SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Time for a “new impulse”

Ruthenbeck had previously informed the club that he would not extend his contract beyond the current season, however the board decided that a change was needed sooner, with the statement on the club’s website saying a “new impulse” was needed.

“Our situation is critical and it was required that we needed to deal with, and that is what we have done,” said the club’s director of professional football Ramazan Yildirim.

“The poor run of results in the last month has made us very worried. Our decisions are all about the club,” added president Helmut Hack. He also added his thanks to both Stefan Ruthenbeck and Michael Schiele for their work.

Radoki aiming to get club back on track

His interim replacement Radoki had been in charge of the club’s under-19 side since January 2013, having made 91 appearances for them as a player between 1996 and 1999.

“Janos has done good work with the under-19s in the last few years, and we have confidence in him to sort out the team,” said Yildririm.

In the statement Radoki thank the management for placing their trust in him and added that with the team “we will work hard together to get things back on track.”

The 44-year-old will be assisted by Mirko Dickhaut, who had previous filled the role under Frank Kramer between July 2013 and February 2015. They will begin work with the team on Tuesday morning, ahead of their first game against Arminia Bielefeld on Friday.

Quotes via SpVgg Greuther Fürth.