Warrington Wolves 19 - 12 Huddersfield Giants: Wolves Battle Past Giants
ST HELENS, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 30: Gareth Widdop of Warrington Wolves in action during the Betfred Super League match between Warrington Wolves and Huddersfield Giants at Totally Wicked Stadium on October 30, 2020 in St Helens, England. Sporting stadiums around the UK remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by Lewis Storey/Getty Images)

Warrington Wolves recorded a season double over the Huddersfield Giants to strengthen their position in the top four.

Daryl Clark starred with two tries, with a further score coming from Anthony Gelling.

The Giants responded with efforts from Jake Wardle and James Gavet but a field-goal from Gareth Widdop took the match beyond the ‘visitors’.

Story of the match

In what proved to be a bruising encounter, Warrington were first to score as a chip kick from Widdop helped the Wolves to a repeat set via a goal-line drop-out before Clark barged over from acting half.

The Wolves continued to dominate the opening quarter, with Widdop having a try chalked off for a forward pass before both Ben Currie and Josh Charnley both went close.

The latter departed the field due to a serious injury and never returned and was the first of several casualties in the match.

Both Jason Clark and Lee Gaskell also left the field in the first half and could not continue.

Huddersfield pulled a try back just before the break as a cross-field kick from Aidan Sezer was knocked backwards by Gelling before being scooped up by Wardle who touched down. 

Sezer’s conversion levelled things up but a penalty goal from Stefan Ratchford sent the Wolves in leading 8-6.

Second half

Huddersfield then took the lead, albeit controversially, as Gavet barged over impressively, despite a possible forward pass in the build-up from Sezer going perhaps unnoticed by the match officials.

Jermaine McGillvary then went close but to no avail and the Wolves soon capitalised as Josh Thewlis was released down the wing before his pass inside found Ratchford, who in turn sent the hooker Clark over for his second try.

Ratchford’s third goal edged Warrington ahead before they soon extended their lead via their third try.

An earlier obstruction against Ashton Golding gifted the Wolves possession before a pass from Blake Austin found Gelling, who had too much strength to score in the corner.

The Giants attempted a fightback but Sezer let his emotions get the better of him as he was sin-binned for the last ten minutes of the contest.

Shortly afterwards, Widdop slotted over a drop-goal to seal another crucial win for the Warrington Wolves.