Wakefield Trinity 20 - 28 Salford Red Devils: Red Devils Down Trinity To Finish 2020 With A Win
LEEDS, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 06: Tui Lolohea of Salford Red Devils runs with the ball during the Betfred Super League match between Wakefield Trinity and Salford Red Devils at Emerald Headingley Stadium on November 06, 2020 in Leeds, England. Sporting stadiums around the UK remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)

It was a third win from four matches for Salford, whereas Wakefield sustained back-to-back defeats after their three straight wins.


Story of the Match

Salford got off to a flying start, forcing a goal line drop-out immediately from the kick off helped them pounce for their first try.

Some swift ball handling from Chris Atkin, Tui Lolohea and Niall Evalds found Krisnan Inu, who powered over, beating two defenders.

The Red Devils soon added their second try as a long floated pass from Lolohea sent Inu away down the wing before an unselfish pass back inside saw Evalds ease over.

Wakefield came close to finding a way back but Ben Jones-Bishop was controversially disallowed a try for a team mate being offside from a high kick.

Shortly after did Salford add their third try as a loose pass from Connor Bailey was knocked on by Jones-Bishop before Ed Chamberlain hacked on the loose ball before gathering it up to score, finishing off a 50 metre effort.

Trinity eventually found a way through as Reece Lyne superbly fended off several Salford defenders to break through before his pass sent Ryan Hampshire over for a try.

However, Wakefield’s hopes of a fight back were short lived as Andy Ackers sprinted into space before his pass sent Lolohea for a fourth Salford try.

Three goals from Inu sent the Red Devils into half-time with a commanding 22-4 lead.

Second Half

Salford almost started the second half just like the first but Inu was denied a try due to an obstruction in back play by team mate Pauli Pauli.

Trinity soon capitalised as Kelepi Tanginoa grounded a grubber kick from Hampshire.

Wakefield continued to fight back and struck again as Hampshire threw a cut-out pass to release Innes Senior down the left wing before Hampshire collected the return pass to race over for his second try.

Things got even more interesting as Lee Mossop for Salford was sin-binned for a professional foul on Kyle Wood.

From that, Wakefield added their fourth try as Tanginoa collected a bullet pass from Brad Walker to crash over for his second.

The match was firmly in the balance until Salford eventually saw off the resilient Wakefield side.

A grubber kick by Lolohea was spilled by Senior, leaving Tyrone McCarthy with an easy touchdown.

Late on, both teams exchanged further close efforts, to no avail, as Salford held on and ended their season with another win.