US Open: Stefanos Tsitsipas outlasts Andy Murray in instant classic
Tsitsipas celebrates after his five-set victory over Murray/Photo: Elsa/Getty Images

In one of the best first-round matches in U.S. Open history, third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas rallied from two sets to one down to defeat Andy Murray 2-6, 7-6 (7), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 in four hours, 49 minutes on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Tsitsipas hit 67 winners and broke Murray three times. He drew the ire of the three-time major champion after taking a controversial bathroom break before the start of the fifth set, which lasted eight minutes, 46 seconds.

The Brit, champion at Flushing Meadows in 2012, struck 42 winners of his own and broke the Greek four times. The first-round loss is his first in 15 career appearances at the year's final major.

Tsitsipas rallies, eliminates Murray in wild, controversial match

Murray came out of the blocks on fire, taking Tsitispas to deuce in the opening game of the match before the Greek held. In his next service game, he flew a backhand way out after a smart slice approach by the Brit gave him a break for a 2-1 lead.

A second break extended his advantage to 4-1 and three games later while serving for the set, some excellent work at the net eventually gave him set point which he converted after the third seed again misfired on a backhand.

Both men saved two break points in the second set, which would be decided in a tiebreaker. Murray struck first with a terrific lob to go ahead 5-3. Tsitsipas rallied and a double fault by the three-time major champion brought up set point, which he converted to even the match.

Murray rebounded quickly, securing the only break of the third set in the second game when Tstisipas sent a forehand wide. He saved four break points in a 16-point fifth game and closed out the set with a forehand winner down the line to take a two sets to one lead.

Murray put up a valiant effort against Tsitsipas/Photo: Elsa/Getty Images

Tsitsipas would receive a controversial medical timeout for an injury to his left foot and following that, he raced out to a 5-0 lead in the fourth set and although Murray would retrieve one of the breaks, it wasn't enough as the Greek closed out the set in the next game.

The final set would turn in the very first game as Tsitsipas cracked a forehand that Murray had no reply for as he broke. The Brit had a chance to break back in the fourth game only to see the third seed strike another forehand winner.

Serving for the match at 5-4, Tsitsipas fired off an ace to bring up triple match point and an off-angle crosscourt forehand brought no reply from Murray and the third seed escaped with a memorable and controversial victory.