Hull City 0-1 MK Dons: Fraser penalty punishes misfiring Tigers
Milton Keynes Dons' Andrew Fisher saves at the feet of Hull City's Keane Lewis-Potter during the Sky Bet League One match between Hull City and Milton Keynes Dons at KCOM Stadium on February 13, 2021 in Hull, England. (Photo by Lee Parker - CameraSport via Getty Images)

Hull City failed to take their chances once again, falling to defeat at home to MK Dons in a game that was decided on a controversial penalty decision. Scott Fraser tucked away the penalty with ten minutes to go and Hull were guilty of missing a number of chances to get themselves on the score sheet.

  • Story of the match

MK Dons started the game with the majority of possession in the opening five minutes, but despite their dominance with the ball they failed to register more than one shot on target that didn't trouble Matt Ingram in the Hull City goal. 

The home side thought they were in on eight minutes. Lewie Coyle's free kick was flicked on by Josh Magennis, and Keane Lewis-Potter was one on one with Andrew Fisher. However, the linesman's flag went up against Magennis. Lewis-Potter had another chance soon after that just didn't fall for him, with Fisher saving with his legs.

Hull grew into the game and started to control the ball, but as was the same in their last two games, the couldn't force Fisher into a save with 15 minutes gone. MK Dons had a great chance when Will Grigg turned the ball goal-wards, but Ingram made a spectacular save to keep the scores 0-0.

Mallik Wilks tried his luck from the half way line after a poor kick out and just missed the target, with the ball going into the side netting for what would have been a goal of the season contender. Wilks should have scored on 23 minutes but blazed over the bar in what had been a good start from both sides to the game, with chances at both ends.

There were no real clear cut chances as half time approached, with both sides producing good build up play but not being allowed to have efforts on target. The half time whistle went with the scores still locked at 0-0.

Neither side made changes at half time, and the second half started like the first had finished. A quick free kick from George Honeyman saw Wilks put in behind, and he found Dan Crowley who had a shot blocked - but he ignored Greg Docherty in acres of space, and chose the wrong option on 50 minutes.

Docherty had a shot well saved on the hour mark after good work from Lewis-Potter, with Hull finally starting to register shots on target. Docherty couldn't find Magennis in the area soon after, with the game becoming more end-to-end with less than half an hour to go. Lewis-Potter started to show what he could do, going on a run and cutting inside before having a shot blocked. Billy Chadwick came on for Crowley to make it four players in the eleven that were Hull born. 

Hull had a shout for handball with 15 minutes to go as they started to throw everything at the Dons defense, but the referee remained unmoved. He did give a penalty for MK Dons however for handball, despite the contact looking to be outside the area. Fraser converted and in truth it was a lead they did not deserve.

Jacob Greaves should have scored after an excellent free kick from Honeyman, heading over with the goal at his mercy. Magennis came close in stoppage time but Hull slump to their second defeat in three games, failing to score in three.

  • Takeaways from the match

Hull blunt in attack

Hull created the better chances, with Wilks, Greaves and Docherty all coming close for the home side. This was their third league game in a row where they have failed to hit the back of the net, and this will be their downfall if it continues. The Tigers are simply not taking the chances they create, and they only have themselves to blame as they look a massively different team from the one who beat Portsmouth away from home only some weeks ago.

MK Dons smash and grab

For all they controlled a large slice of possession in the first half - and the one chance Will Grigg had early on - MK Dons did not really threaten the Hull goal, until they had a massively fortuitous penalty decision fall their way. The handball was certain, but it certainly looked to be outside of the area and it was a victory that they did not really deserve.

  • Stand-out players

Greg Docherty looked impressive yet again for the home side, and Lewis-Potter did start to show some spark on the left in the second half. However, it was Harry Darling at the back who stood out for the visitors. He looks a shrewd acquisition from League Two Cambridge United and certainly looks the part in the Dons defense, organizing and marshalling the back line to good effect.