Lincoln City 0-1 Cambridge United: Ironside wins it late for U's
Photo: Chris Vaughan/CameraSport via Getty Images

Cambridge United marked manager Mark Bonner's 100th game in charge with a 1-0 victory over Lincoln City at the LNER Stadium.

Joe Ironside struck with a header in the first minute of second-half stoppage time as the U's won their third consecutive match in all competitions.

Cambridge now sit on 30 points after 25 games following just their second victory in their last nine EFL League One games while Lincoln lost for the first time in three league encounters.

Story of the match

Bonner made five changes to the side that claimed victory against Portsmouth in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday.

Sam Sherring was handed a debut after arriving on loan from AFC Bournemouth, with Paul Digby, James Brophy, Ironside and Ben Worman restored to the starting XI.

In the seventh minute, Cohen Bramall made a fine run and sent in a teasing cross only for Dimitar Mitov to gather it in.

Adam May had the first sight of goal, but his shot lacked power and Lincoln goalkeeper Josh Griffiths made the save, but he could only tip over the midfielder's second effort from 25 yards out.

Mitov then tipped Liam Cullen's shot over the bar on 22 minutes and at the other end, Brophy picked out Ironside, but he could only shoot wide.

On the half hour mark, Worman was dispossessed in the middle of the park, Maguire collecting and moving forward to pull the trigger, which was denied by an astute block from Sherring.

Embed from Getty Images

The Imps started to get a foothold in the match and Ted Bishop picked out Morgan Whittaker, who fired narrowly over while Mitov then saved from Chris Maguire.

Lincoln was dominating, Maguire forcing Mitov into a pair of saves and shortly after the restart, Whittaker dragged his effort just wide. At the other end, Ironside had a goal ruled out for offsides in the 58th minute.

Brophy found Sam Smith down the right and after he picked his spot, his low shot was gathered in by Griffiths. Moments later, Brophy hit a fierce shot that sailed just inches wide of the post.

In the 75th minute, Anthony Scully played in Conor McGrandles deep down the left who fired towards the roof of the net which Mitov tipped over.

With the match appearing to head for a scoreless draw, Cambridge found a winner in the 91st minute when Wes Hoolahan found May, his header saved by Griffiths, but Ironside converted the rebound.

Man of the match: Joe Ironside

His last-gasp winner, his team-leading 13th goal in all competitions, was a deserved reward for a performance in which he looked a threat throughout, constantly posing problems in attack for the Lincoln defence.