Wrexham 3-0 Stockport County: Dragons go top after dominating Hatters
Photo: Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images

Wrexham have gone top of the In Vanarama National League table following a convincing 3-0 victory over Stockport County at the Racecourse Ground.

In a matchup of the league's top two teams, it was the Dragons who looked the stronger as Ollie Palmer opened the scoring in the 34th minute.

Paul Mullin added his 26th of the season in the third minute of stoppage time and two minutes after halftime, Palmer added his second and Wrexham's third to ensure the race for promotion goes down to the final weekend. 

Stockport have a game in hand on Wrexham, but the Dragons have a superior goal difference by two meaning should the Hatters drop points on Wednesday, the final day will determine who re-joins the Football League.

Story of the game

A lively start to the match saw Stockport with the first chance as Miles Hyppolite sent a low shot on goal, Christian Dibble gathering at the second time of asking.

Antoni Sarcevic was next to try his luck, Max Cleworth heading away his attempt and Dibble saved from the Serbian's next effort.

Embed from Getty Images

Scott Quigley was next to get involved for the visitors and Dibble had to divert away with his fingertips.

Wrexham then enjoyed a good spell as a throw by Ben Tozer was headed on goal by Mullin, Ben Hinchcliffe tipping over before Cleworth headed the follow-up attempt wide.

The Dragons then opened the scoring on 34 minutes as another throw by Tozer was headed in by Palmer, his 15th goal since joining the Welsh side.

Five minutes before halftime, the lead was nearly doubled, Mullin shooting straight at Hinchcliffe from close range, but the Hatters goalkeeper did enough to save.

In stoppage time, he did grab Wrexham's second, Jordan Davies playing a brilliant through ball across to the former Cambridge man, who beat Hinchcliffe.

Davies again was provider for the hosts' third as free-kick found the head of Palmer, who made no mistake and put the game out of reach.

Stockport were struggling to create anything of note, their afternoon summed up by Paddy Madden shanking his strike well over the bar.

The Hatters almost grabbed a consolation when Oliver Crankshaw crossed for Liam Hogan, but he could only head over the bar much the same way Madden had just done.

Tozer forced Hinchcliffe into one final save in the 86th minute, but by then the match had already been decided, but the title, which had looked to be in Stockport's grasp, had not.

Man of the match: Jordan Davies

Palmer and Mullin will get all of the accolades for scoring and deservedly so, but if not for the build-up play, started by the Wrexham midfielder, those goals may have not happened. A goal for himself would have been a fitting way to cap off a sensational performance.