Burnley 0-4 Chelsea: Clarets comfortably beaten by classy Chelsea
Ruben Loftus Cheek added a late fourth as Burnley were swept aside by Chelsea (Photo: Getty Images: Robbie Jay Barratt)

Burnley followed up their 5-0 thrashing by Manchester City last time out with another comprehensive defeat losing 4-0 to Chelsea.

It was a result that saw the visitors move up to second place in the table and extended their unbeaten start to ten games.

One positive for Sean Dyche's side was the return of Robbie Brady who made his first start of the season following his recovery from injury.

Aaron Lennon missed out through illness meaning Brady came into the starting line-up, and he was expected to play just 60 or 70 minutes in his first start. However, he was forced to play the whole game due to a late injury to Jack Cork but appeared to get through the match unscathed.

Burnley opened up after bright start

The Clarets made an encouraging start to the game in the opening 15 minutes, with some aggressive pressing halting Chelsea from getting into their usual passing rhythm. That enabled Dyche's men to win the ball back swiftly and begin to open up their play, with Steven Defour, making his first start at home this season, adding an extra dimension to Burnley's play and enabling them to start on the front foot.

However, as soon as Chelsea demonstrated their ability to beat the press, with Jorginho and Ross Barkley pulling the strings in midfield, Burnley abandoned their press and began to sit way too deep.

That allowed the visitors to gain control and begin to find gaps in The Clarets' defence, and minutes after Pedro hit the post, Alvaro Morata gave Chelsea the lead finishing well when through one on one, after Jeff Hendrick lost possession in midfield.

Maurizio Sarri's side created chances to extend their lead going into the break, with Morata missing two one-on-one opportunities, the first he put just wide, before being denied by a good save from Joe Hart after being played through by Jorginho.

Chelsea's quality too much

Just like last week at Man City, Burnley trailed by a single goal at half time and were still in the game heading into the second half. However, similarly to what happened at The Etihad, The Clarets were completely dominated in the second period and brushed aside with ease as Chelsea strolled to a very comfortable three points.

Barkley, who produced a stand out performance throughout, was given oceans of space to drive into as he picked up the ball on the half way line. The England international, unchallenged, then fired into the bottom corner from 25-yards out to double the visitors' lead on 57 minutes.

Just five minutes later Willian, who gave Matthew Lowton a torrid time throughout with an excellent performance, but was also booked for a clear dive in the area in the first half, made it 3-0. He cut inside with ease, as he had been doing all game, and clinically fired the ball beyond the desperate dive of Hart.

From that point on it was a precession for Sarri's side, who monopolised possession and denied Burnley any opportunities to find a route back into the contest.

The game was wrapped up well before a stoppage-time effort from substitute Ruben Loftus Cheek made it 4-0, as Dyche's side will have to reflect on a day where their defensive frailties this season, were ruthlessly exposed by a quality side capable of mounting a real challenge for the title this season.