Newport County 1-0 Port Vale: Ellison strikes late to snatch victory
Late drama at Rodney Parade (Arfa Griffiths/Getty Images)

Newport County left it late to snatch a 1-0 win over Port Vale at Rodney Parade.

Substitute Kevin Ellison struck in the sixth minute of added time to move the Exiles three points clear at the top of EFL League Two after Vale captain Leon Legge was sent off midway through the second half.

  • Story of the match

Townsend's double stop

After a slow opening period, the visitors registered the first real attempt on goal when David Worrall latched onto Mitch Clark's through ball and saw his volley saved.

The Newport goalkeeper was then required again just two minutes later as Worrall turned provider to find Tom Conlon but his shot straight at Nick Townsend.

Shephard goes close before the break

The hosts grew into the half and were almost in front six minutes before half-time when Jamie Devitt found Liam Shephard at a tight angle but he saw his shot tipped over the bar by Vale 'keeper Scott Brown.

Legge sees red

The visitors were then reduced to ten men after the break, as Legge was sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

Already on a yellow, the Vale defender produced a reckless late challenge and was subsequently sent off by referee Alan Young.

Cooper heads wide late on

The hosts continued to push for a winner following Legge's dismissal and almost went in front as Brandon Cooper attacked a corner on 87 minutes.

Connecting with Matt Dolan's cross, the Exiles centre-half headed low towards goal from close-range but sent his effort just wide of the post.

Ellison grabs last-gasp winner

But just as it looked like both sides would be settling for a point, substitute Ellison arrived to put Newport ahead in the sixth minute of added time with his first goal for the club.

Reacting first to Robbie Willmott's corner, the midfielder fired into the top corner from six yards out to seal the victory for Michael Flynn's side.

  • Match Stats

Newport County 1-0 Port Vale (Ellison, 90+6')

Newport County

Townsend; Cooper, Dolan, Demetriou, Shephard (Willmott, 70'), Haynes (Ellison, 86'), Sheehan, Twine, Devitt (Amond, 63'), Proctor (Labadie, 63'), Abrahams

Unused subs: King, Baker, Bennett

Port Vale

Brown; Clark, Legge, Smith, Montano (Crookes, 88'), Burgess, Oyeleke, Conlon (Fitzpatrick, 47'), Worrall, Rodney (Robinson, 67'), Cullen (Brisley, 70')

Unused subs: Visser, McKirdy, Hurst

  • Takeaways

Newport snatch three points

Talk about leaving it late. 

After failing to capitalise on a number of chances throughout the second half, it took 96 minutes for the league leaders to make the breakthrough.

Relief for boss Flynn, as that win moves them three points clear of second-place Cheltenham Town with a game-in-hand.

Vale cause their own downfall

It's fair to say most Vale fans would have been happy with a point following Legge's dismissal midway through the second half.

However, that challenge ultimately proved costly as late pressure saw the point slip away.

A third straight defeat now for John Askey's men, with improvement now needed at Stevenage on Tuesday.