Notts County 1-1 Chesterfield: Pies held to just a point by local rivals Spireites.

The game had its first goal-bound opportunity when Ruben Rodrigues' through pass opened space for Matty Palmer, who eventually found Dion Kelly-Evans. The full-back found himself in space for an effort on goal, which deflected narrowly over and out for a corner. 

Shortly after this opportunity, the visitors took the lead. Good play down the left saw Tom Whelan receive the ball deep in the Magpies' penalty area. The midfielder fed the ball back to the edge of the box, where Alex Whittle awaited to smash the ball home for the opener. 

Notts then went on to have a big penalty appeal waved away. Ruben Rodrigues only had the goalkeeper to beat before he was axed down by Curtis Weston. Although through the back of the Portuguese midfielder, the Chesterfield man apparently had won the ball. 

The Magpies continued to pepper the goal for their equaliser. Rodrigues came close again aiming for the bottom corner. However, the shot was tipped wide by Scott Loach.

Harry Arter was next up to fire at goal. The loanee midfielder created the opportunity for a counter attack and saw it result with him volleying at goal. The shot however could only continue rising above the crossbar. 

Just a minute before the break, the Magpies were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Kyle Wootton, who was in desperate need to score a goal. The forward fired low and hard into the bottom corner, giving Scott Loach absolutely no chance. 

First half ends.


The visitors registered the first attempt on goal in the second half. A swift breakaway from Saidou Khan ensured the ball ended up wide with Calvin Miller. The wingers attempted cross deflected towards goal, meaning Slocombe had to be ready to tip behind for a corner, a corner in which led to nothing.

Calvin Miller went on to come close once again for his side. A cut back inside sold his marker leaving him with just Slocombe to beat. The goalkeeper was well-beaten, but saved by his goalpost.

The Magpies responded with an effort of their own. Matty Palmer found Kelly-Evans well inside the penalty area, which led to the full-back squaring the ball back towards Jayden Richardson. The loanee fired towards goal, but his shot was well blocked by a Chesterfield man.

Shortly beyond this opportunity, Ian Burchnall's side went close again. Frank Vincent was on hand on the edge of the box to fire at goal. The effort however was once again deflected wide for a corner, which led to nothing for the hosts. 

Notts County were enjoying the thick of momentum and came close once again when Rodrigues' flash header fizzled just wide of Loach's far post. 

The visitors then fumbled a sitter. A failed attempt of clearing his lines from Jim O'Brien led to Asante only needing to tap the ball home to put his side ahead. However, the forward was unable to fire home and the ball was pounced upon by a relieved Slocombe in the Magpies' goal. 

Another big call for a penalty was waved away for the hosts, as Vincent went down in the area as he was poised to shoot. The referee was uninterested and a corner was given. The corner led to Wootton crashing a header off the top of the crossbar, fine margins preventing the goalscorer from adding his second. 

Second half ends.

The second half concluded uneventfully to end a very good game between two promotion pushing sides at Meadow Lane. It finished Notts County 1-1 Chesterfield.



Notts County:  Slocombe, Richardson, Chicksen, Lacey, Rawlinson, Kelly-Evans, Palmer, Arter (O'Brien 64'), Vincent (Francis 84'), Rodrigues, Wootton.

Chesterfield:  Loach, King, Grimes (Gunning 50'), Maguire, Whittle, Weston, Whelan, Mandeville (Quigley 68'), Khan, Miller, Asante.

Attendance: 10,334 (2,719)