Notts County 1-2 Wrexham: Jamie Jones' late strike ends Notts County's dream of another Wembley appearance.
A snap of the action as Notts County and Wrexham AFC battled it out for a place in the Semi-Final of the Buildbase FA Trophy. 

Ian Burchnall made five changes to the side he fielded in Tuesday's 3-3 draw with Solihull Moors which saw  Sam Slocombe, Joel Taylor, Matty Palmer, Aaron Nemane and Kairo Mitchell replace Vitezslav Jaros, Zak Brunt, Ruben Rodrigues, Cal Roberts and Kyle Wootton.

Phil Parkinson dropped duo Paul Mullin and Ollie Palmer, as they were replaced by Daniel Jarvis and Jordan Ponticelli. The changes really emphasised that the Red Dragons' boss had the Vanarama National League as his main priority. 

The first real opportunity on goal came for the Magpies. A blistering dart down the wing by Nemane saw the winger drop the ball off to Vincent. The midfielder found his partner Palmer on the edge of the box, whose eventual first-time effort fashioned narrowly over the crossbar. 

Following this opportunity, the visitors worked a great opening of their own. Superb trickery down the right by Hosannah saw the full-back cut the ball back to Jones on the edge of Notts' penalty area. The central midfielder's powerful effort deflected off of his own teammate and behind for a goal-kick. 

A game that really began all guns blazing saw another wonderful opening transpire for Notts County. A defence-splitting through ball from Palmer found Dion Kelly-Evans' well-timed run perfectly. Although  the weight of the pass was perfect, Kelly-Evans' effort was easily saved by Dibble.

Mitchell was next to register his first chance of the evening. The forward's delightful control under pressure saw space open up for a strike. Striking towards goal and rightfully so, the fierce, low effort was turned behind for a corner by Wrexham's shot-stopper.

After a massively dominant start, Notts County took a deserved lead. A typical, swift counter-attack from the Magpies saw space open up for Chicksen out-wide. The full-back played a magnificent cross into the area for Connell Rawlinson to glance the ball home for the opener.

Beyond the opener, Tozer had the opportunity to net his side's leveller. A deep corner delivery fell to the feet of the centre-half, but his goal-bound effort was blocked by Taylor at the back post. 

Two minutes prior to half-time, the visitors were level. Jarvis, who many doubted when announced as starting this evening, smashed the ball high into the top corner of the goal leaving Slocombe with absolutely no chance of preventing the equaliser.

First half ends. 


The second half began in the same fashion as the first concluded, with both sides showcasing their attacking intents. However, the hosts were first to register the first shot on goal. It was Mitchell again who displayed faults strength to hold off Tozer, before then stinging the palms of Dibble.

This opportunity was shortly followed up by Parkinson's side's first opportunity of the half. Hall-Johnson initially saw his shot blocked by Taylor but the rebound dropped as far as McAlinden, whose eventual strike flew above the crossbar. 

After a short spell without a chance on goal, Vincent put an end to the minor drought. A lovely give-and-go between Palmer and Chicksen saw space once again open up for the full-back. The defender played a defensive-splitting ball through to Vincent, whose curled effort bent just beyond the near post. 

Fifteen minutes from the end of the ninety, Wrexham came close to taking the lead. The visitors dispossessed the Magpies on half-way and went on to break with pace concluding with the ball out-wide with Hall-Johnson. The wing-back's low delivery gave Slocombe something to worry about, but the goalkeeper held on well in the end. 

The hosts then came close once again since the game opened-up. A succession of dangerous attacks resulted in Vincent's low-struck effort being deflected behind for a corner. The corner concluded in the hands of Dibble.

Francis thought he had won it for his side, but his fantastic long-ranged effort cannoned back off the bar. The rebound fell to Roberts, who became the latest player to the list of those who stung the palms of Dibble. 

Just moments after conceded the opportunity, Wrexham took the lead.  A quick break from the visitors was finished off delightfully by Jamies Jones.

Wrexham then had the opportunity to end the game completely. A superb cut-back from Mullin led to Jones' effort being well-stopped by Slocombe. 

That opportunity turned out to be the final goal-bound chance of the game as the referee's full-time whistle sounded. 


Second half ends.


The game resulted Notts County 1-2 Wrexham AFC.


The player of the match as announced by the public announcer at Meadow Lane this evening was Ed Francis.

Team Line-ups: 


Notts County:  Slocombe, Chicksen, Lacey, Rawlinson, Taylor, Kelly-Evans, Francis, Vincent, Palmer, Nemane (Roberts 72'), Mitchell (Rodrigues 64'). 

Wrexham AFC: Dibble, Hosannah (Hall-Johnson 34'), Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean (Mullin 64'), Young,  McAlinden,  Jones,  Jarvis, Ponticelli (Palmer 64').




The attendance at Meadow Lane Stadium tonight was 3,170, with 626 travelling from Wales.