Newcastle United 2-1 Everton: Callum Wilson brace enough to unravel the Toffee's
(Photo by Owen Humphreys - Pool/Getty Images)

Newcastle United moved into the top half of the Premier League table after they defeated high-flying Everton by two goals to one at St James' Park.

The Magpies were awarded a penalty early into the second half after Andre Gomes was deemed to have fouled Callum Wilson by referee Stuart Attwell.

Wilson made no mistake from the spot to give The Magpies the lead, sending Toffee's goalkeeper Robin Olsen the wrong way.

Newcastle doubled their lead on 84 minutes after Wilson bagged his second of the game from close range.

Everton scored in stoppage time through Dominic Calvert-Lewin, but the goal was merely a consolation for the away side, who slipped to their second league defeat in a row.

Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti made a bold decision with his starting lineup for this game, with former-Sunderland man Jordan Pickford dropped to the substitutes bench in place of summer signing Olsen.

Story of the game

The first chance of the game fell to the home side after a cagey opening few minutes - a long ball over the top of the Everton defence was latched onto by Callum Wilson, but the England international's shot was nowhere near from threatening Robin Olsen's goal.

Newcastle goalkeeper Karl Darlow had a mini-scare after his throw to Jamal Lewis was pounced on by Gylfi Sigurdsson, but Federico Fernandez got over to make a crucial sliding challenge to prevent a dangerous Everton attack.

It took 29 minutes for Everton to force their real first chance of the game, Lewis' poor attempted pass up the field was intercepted by Abdoulaye Doucoure, he played the ball wide to Jonjoe Kenny, who sent a high cross towards Andre Gomes - but Jamaal Lascelles got an important head on the ball and Newcastle managed to clear.

Newcastle had started the opening 30 minutes the better side, and should have been in front when Miguel Almiron broke at pace on the left-wing directly from an Everton corner - the Paraguayan passed to Callum Wilson, who played an inch-perfect ball to Allan Saint-Maximin, but his shot was met with a fine save from Olsen in the Everton net.

Lewis was victim of another poor pass, this time a ball back to Darlow was tame and was almost pounced on by Doucoure again, but a fine sliding challenge from the makeshift Magpies number one goalkeeper Darlow to slid the ball away to rescue.

Everton grew into the game late into the first-half, target man Dominic Calvert-Lewin tried to work a shot at the Newcastle goal, but the resilient Toon defence got back in numbers and snuffed the chance out. The blocked shot did fall out to Fabian Delph, but his effort flew over the crossbar.

Magpies captain Lascelles had a scare just before half-time as he miss-kicked the ball directly into the path of Calvert-Lewin, who teed up Gomes for a shot, but once again, Newcastle were able to clear the ball away.

Embed from Getty Images

Two second-half goals enough to give the Toon all three points

The away side had the first chance after the interval, a ball by Kenny into the box was headed by Calvert-Lewin, but the wayward shot did not threaten the Newcastle goal.

Everton kept the pressure on Newcastle early in the second half - Sigurdsson's cross was played towards Calvert-Lewin, but Darlow asserted himself well in the Newcastle goal and managed to get in front of the ball to waive away any danger.

On 54 minutes and somewhat against the run of play, Newcastle were awarded a penalty after Callum Wilson got in front of Andre Gomes from a corner and the referee Stuart Attwell deemed that the Portuguese brought down the forward.

After a long VAR deliberation, Wilson stepped up to the spot and despite Yerry Mina's best efforts to distract him, sent Olsen the wrong way to give Newcastle the lead.

Embed from Getty Images

And straight going ahead, Newcastle should have doubled their advantage, if it was not for a superb save from Olsen to deny Sean Longstaff from close range.

Everton tried to retaliate a few minutes after going behind, but Sigurdsson's shot from 25-yards sailed over the crossbar.

The Toffee's next forced a free-kick in a dangerous position, but Calvert-Lewin's header from a Bernard delivery was headed straight at Darlow.

On 71 minutes, Jacob Murphy received the ball from an uncharacteristic cross-pitch pass from Fernandez, he cut in from the right-hand side, but his shot flew over the bar.

Just a few minutes later, Murphy had another shot sail over the bar, this time the chance coming directly from a Longstaff corner.

Everton were awarded a free-kick in another promising position, and this time Michael Keane got on the end of a Sigurdsson delivery - but what had been a common occurance for The Toffee's all game happened again, with the effort being nowhere near from threatening Darlow in the Newcastle goal.

Everton huffed and puffed for an equaliser in the final five minutes, but it was Newcastle who took advantage of the away side pushing players up the pitch. Ryan Fraser was released by a Jamal Lewis through ball, he teared down the left-hand side and crossed the ball to the back post towards Wilson who stabbed the ball into the back of the net.

Embed from Getty Images

Almost instantly after Newcastle doubled their lead, Everton should have had a foothold back into the game as substitute Alex Iwobi played in Calvert-Lewin, but his effort went off target.

Calvert-Lewin redeemed himself for his earlier chance as the England international got on the end of a cross at the front post, and poked the ball past Darlow in the Newcastle net, to set up a nervy final few minutes for the home side.

Embed from Getty Images

Bernard had a late chance for the away side deep into stoppage time that had to be tipped over the bar by Darlow.

But the resulting corner came to no prevail and it meant it was defeat for Everton, and an opportunity missed to leapfrog their rivals Liverpool back to the top of the table.

This win for Newcastle moves them up into the top half of the Premier League table, with The Magpies sitting pretty in tenth position.


Magpies worthy winners

If you offered any Newcastle fan four points out of six from games against Wolves and Everton, they would have snapped your hands off.

The summer signing of Callum Wilson proved as vital as ever for Steve Bruce's side as he netted both goals this afternoon.

The defensive back five, like it did at Molineux last week, once again worked well as they were able to cope with the aerial prowess of Dominic Calvert-Lewin with relative ease.

It is to note that The Magpies caught Everton on a good day, with the away side clearly missing the likes of Richarlison and James Rodriguez - but make no mistake, they were well worthy of all three points today.

Everton not at the races

Carlo Ancelotti's Everton side were ripped apart with injury and suspension, and to add salt to the wounds, were second best on Tyneside this afternoon.

Goalkeeper Robin Olsen came in for his Premier League debut to replace usual number one Jordan Pickford, and was the best player on the pitch for the away side, in particular making two top saves to deny Allan Saint-Maximin and Sean Longstaff.

Everton's best spell in the match came in the dying embers of the game, an emphasis on their failure of not having many clear-cut chances on the Newcastle goal. 

Toffee's fans will be desperate to have the likes of Lucas Digne, Richarlison and Rodriguez back for their game against Manchester United next weekend.

Embed from Getty Images

Starting XI

Newcastle United: Darlow; Murphy, Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez; Lewis, Hendrick, S.Longstaff, Almiron, Saint-Maximin; Wilson. (5-4-1)

Everton: Olsen; Kenny, Keane, Mina, Nkounkou; Allan, Delph, Doucoure; Andre Gomes, Sigurdsson; Calvert-Lewin. (4-3-2-1)