Portsmouth 1-2 Charlton Athletic: Addicks continue Fratton Park mastery with victory over Pompey
Photo: Robin Jones/Getty Images

Charlton Athletic won for the sixth consecutive time at Fratton Park as they defeated Portsmouth 2-1.

Conor Washington put the Addicks in front just after the half-hour mark and an own goal from Clark Robertson in the 64th minute doubled the visitors’ advantage.

Substitute Michael Jacobs halved the deficit for Pompey 11 minutes from time, but Charlton held on for a second successive victory in EFL League One play.

Story of the match

After just three minutes, Portsmouth threatened as Sean Raggett found Denver Hume with a diagonal pass, but the new boy dragged his left-footed shot wide.

Moments later, Hume turned provider as he sent a deep cross to Mahlon Romeo, but the wings back volleyed over.

After 26 minutes, George Hirst failed to turn home Joe Morrell's cross while Corey Blackett-Taylor nearly capped off a 70-yard run with a goal, but his effort went just wide.

The Addicks took the lead as Sean Clare found Adam Matthews whose inch-perfect pass found Chuks Aneke, his shot stopped by Gavin Bazunu, but Washington was on hand to poke home.

Charlton had a pair of opportunities to double their lead, Alex Gilbey hitting the post from an angle and Albie Morgan sliced his snapshot wide.

With halftime fast approaching, Morgan sent a drive from distance whistling just over the crossbar.

Pompey should have been level when a free-kick routine saw Hirst nod down for Robertson, but the captain somehow shot wide.

Ryan Inniss spared the visitors’ blushes as his intervention denied Hirst, who had raced clear into the box.

Embed from Getty Images

The lead was doubled on 64 minutes when Matthews fed an overlapping Clare and Robertson, who was under pressure from Washington, turned the ball into his own net.

Portsmouth did halve the deficit when Jacobs unleashed a venomous shot that beat Charlton goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray.

The hosts searched for an equaliser, Nortel playing in Ronan Curtis at the 18-yard box, but he snatched his effort wide. MacGillivray then denied Louis Thompson's low volley.

Although Washington miscued a shot right at the end, it mattered little as Charlton moved up a spot to 14th in the table.

Man of the match: Conor Washington

Although his goal should have been disallowed, he was a threat throughout the match, getting himself in good positions and attacking whenever he had the chance.