Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Wigan Athletic: Bannan penalty the difference in fast-paced encounter
(Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)

Sheffield Wednesday ran out 1-0 winners to increase their winning streak to four games in a row on Tuesday night. 

Barry Bannan was able to score the vital goal from the spot to give The Owls a vital three points as they search for a play-off place, whilst The Lactics missed the chance to win one of their games in hand on Rotherham United at the top of League One.

Story of the match

Bannan looked to get the hosts off to the perfect start as he raced forwards in the second minute, but he was just unable to pick out a pass.

Tom Naylor had a golden chance to put The Lactics in front, as it was headed down to him, but his half volley was scuffed wide from inside the box.

Liam Palmer then had the first effort for Darren Moore’s Wednesday side, but his shot went straight into Ben Amos’ gloves.

Callum Paterson then found himself unfortunate not to be provided a sitter, as Amos was just able to palm away a cross to prevent the striker having an open goal.

Seconds later the home crowd thought they had seen their side go in front when Jordan Storey’s header could only find the side netting from a corner.

Paterson looked to bring the ball forwards for The Owls at the end of a lively opening 15 minutes, but he was barged off the ball as he looked to pass.

Josh Magennis then had a big chance for the visitors, as a floated cross picked him out but he was just unable to keep the header down.

Jamie McGrath attempted a volley from the edge of the box, but it rolled harmlessly past Bailey Peacock-Farrell’s goal.

There were appeals for handball on the half an hour mark as Curtis Tilt knocked the ball back to his keeper, but nothing was given.

Bannan then saw his free kick from the edge of the box hit the wall as he looked to give The Owls the lead.

Florian Kamberi had a great chance to break the deadlock, as a shot was pushed away by Amos onto the Albanian, who had enough time to move his head to the ball to try and put it in, but still he placed it wide.

Despite their dominance Wednesday were lucky to escape unpunished when Tendayi Darikwa had time and space but could only volley onto the post, with Magennis’ follow up going into the net, however he was denied by the offside flag.

Callum Lang then burst forwards for Leam Richardson’s team, but his strike was straight at Peacock-Farrell.

It was goalless at the break in a very fast paced game which had seen both teams have chances which they had failed to take. It was still all to play for at half time.

Half time score: Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Wigan Athletic

In the 47th minute Marvin Johnson aimed a cross towards the far post, but it was headed away to deny The Owls a great start to the half.

In the 52nd minute Masssimo Luongo was brought down in the box and the referee gave the penalty to Sheffield Wednesday.

Bannan stepped up to take and put his penalty right and above Amos in goal to give the hosts the lead.

Magennis looked to get a quick response for the visitors as he turned his man, but he lost balance as he shaped to shoot and was unable to get his shot away.

Kamberi had a huge chance to double Wednesday's lead on the hour mark, as a lovely move culminated in Johnson playing a low cross into Wednesday's number 20, who had acres of space but somehow missed the target.

Luongo looked to counter for The Owls but lost momentum as he was going forwards, and the ball ended up with the keeper. 

Storey came close to doubling the lead soon after, as his glancing header grazed the top of the bar on its way over. 

In the 71st minute the ball was flashed across the box but Kamberi was not able to meet it.

As the game headed into the final 15 minutes Paterson had a shot from range that curled just past the post.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing looked to make an instant impact off the bench as he cut back a cross which was cleared to Bannan, who saw his shot tipped over the bar by Amos. 

Max Power looked to create an opening for Wigan as the visitors looked to steal a point late on, but Bannan was on hand to make a challenge. 

Mendez-Laing continued to cause problems for Wigan as he drove at their defence, only to see his attack cleared eventually.

Full time saw Wednesday secure a vital win in their pursuit of the playoff places in Sky Bet League One, whilst Wigan missed the chance to use their games in hand to put pressure on Rotherham for the title. 

Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell, Storey, Hutchinson, Palmer, Hunt, Luongo, Byers, Bannan (Brennan 95'), Johnson, Paterson, Kamberi (Mendez-Laing 76').

Wigan Athletic: Amos, Power, Whatmough, Tilt, Darikwa (Massey 77'), Naylor, Shinnie (Humphreys 69'), Lang, McGrath (Kerr 69'), McClean, Magennis.

Referee: Tim Robinson