Manchester United 1-1 Leicester City: Points shared as Fred cancels out Iheanacho opener
Kelechi Iheanacho of Leicester City scores their side's first goal past Raphael Varane and David De Gea of Manchester United. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

Manchester United drew 1-1 against Leicester City at Old Trafford as they missed the chance to jump above Spurs in the race for the top four in the Premier League.

The Foxes took the lead just after the hour mark thanks to Kelechi Iheanacho’s brilliant header but Ralf Rangnick’s side bounced straight back and equalised through Fred who tapped home from close range.

James Maddison then had a goal disallowed in the final ten minutes to deny Leicester their first-ever consecutive away win against the Red Devils. 

United remain in sixth place and are three points off the top four after the point whilst Brendan Rodger’s side move up to ninth, capitalising on Aston Villa’s defeat earlier in the day.

Embed from Getty Images

Story of the game

From the off, the atmosphere inside Old Trafford was laboured as it seems to have been ever since the start of Ralf Rangnick’s tenure. The Leicester fans’ chants filled the stadium as they took advantage of the somewhat nervous home support.

Their team would respond and Leicester started the brightest. They could have had the lead early on through Harvey Barnes as his flicked header from James Maddison’s cross landed on the top of the net rather than in it.

Barnes would then test his luck from distance after some neat build-up play from the Foxes, however, he would fail to hit the target.

Bruno Fernandes was handed the best chance of the half on a plate after Wesley Fofana played a pass straight into Fred’s feet. The Brazilian slid in Fernandes who couldn’t beat Kasper Schmeichel’s outstretched foot.

Rodgers’ side then had their own golden chance. James Justin cut the ball across the box to Iheanacho who somehow missed the target from an area he is usually so reliable.

It was goalless at halftime and boos came from some of the home fans, who had seemed disgruntled from the start.

After the break, there were limited chances with both teams keen to stay in the game. Each side had periods of possession but struggled to create anything similar to what they managed in the first half.

The deadlock was broken just after the hour mark as Iheanacho brilliantly headed the ball back across goal and into the bottom corner. David De Gea was able to get a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out as Leicester took the lead.

Embed from Getty Images

Instantly after the opener, United would level it as Fred tapped home from close range, following in from Fernandes’ strike.

De Gea would then pull off a superb save to deny Fofana’s header that looked destined for the back of the net. The Spaniard flew to the left-hand side of his goal to tip it wide.

In the final ten minutes, Leicester thought they had won it through Maddison who tucked his shot into the bottom corner. However, after a VAR check, the goal was ruled out for a foul in the build-up. 

This would take the tempo out of Leicester's play and it was United who pressed in the final stages but they couldn't get past a strong Foxes defence. 

Neither side could find the winner after a tense finish to the game and the points were shared in Manchester.