Gillingham 0-2 Rotherham United: Millers promoted as Gills drop to League Two
Photo: Henry Browne/Getty Images

In a match that saw teams heading in the opposite directions, Rotherham United earned promotion to the EFL Championship with a 2-0 victory over Gillingham, who were relegated to EFL League Two.

Rarmandi Edmonds-Green opened the scoring in the 34th minute and Georgie Kelly added a second a minute from time to seal the Millers return to the second tier at the first time of asking.

Gillingham won just one of their last nine matches with today's defeat sealing their drop into the fourth tier for just the fifth time in the last 21 seasons.

Story of the match

Rotherham were on the front foot minutes in as Michael Smith hooked a ball into the box that was met by Ben Wiles, but he was unable to direct his header on goal.

The Millers, knowing what was at stake, kept up the pressure, Wes Harding cutting in on his left foot to cross for Michael Ihiekwe, who headed over. 

Edmonds-Green would make a sizzling run from his own half and after exchanging passes with Wiles, he played in Jordi Osei-Tutu, who saw his shot deflected behind.

Gillingham goalkeeper Aaron Chapman made a stunning reflex save  on Edmonds-Green from point-blank range after the on-loan Huddersfield Town man was played in by Dan Barlaser.

At this point, MK Dons, just a point behind Rotherham for automatic promotion, took the lead at Plymouth and they responded by Ihiekwe firing wide from a center by Harding.

Wiles then fouled Ben Reeves and he took the ensuing free-kick that was curled over the wall, but picked out of the air by Millers goalkeeper Viktor Johansson.

Just after the half-hour mark, the visitors took the lead. Barlaser sent the ball into the box from a corner and Ihiekwe rose highest to keep the ball alive and Edmonds-Green was on hand to prod home.

Embed from Getty Images

Smith then missed two golden opportunities to double the lead. He was unable to convert on a gilt-edged chance and after Chiedozie Ogbene found him unmarked, he steered wide.

Edmons-Green made a timely intervention to prevent Vadaine Oliver from going clear, but just before halftime, Ben Thompson crashed his shot against the woodwork.

The hosts knew a win would see them stay up and Ben Ehmer fired off a snap shot that a Rotherham defender got in the way of before Edmonds-Green denied Oliver a header at the far post.

Millers skipper Richard Wood was booked for a head lock on Oliver and Conor Masterson fired wide from a Reeves free-kick.

Chapman then pulled off a fine double save first keeping out Wiles and then Osei-Tutu on the rebound.

Barlaser's cross was knocked on by Kelly and Wood would eventually bundle home, but the goal was disallowed after he was adjudged to have been offsides.

Smith was forced off to be replaced by summer recruit Kelly and he sealed Rotherham's promotion when in the 89th minute Ogbene beat a Gillingham defender to the ball and found the Irishman, who kept his nerve to finish from the edge of the box.

Eight minutes of stoppage time did nothing to change the outcome of the match as Rotherham will find themselves two divisions above Gillingham next year.

Man of the match: Ramani Edmonds-Green 

He was the driving force behind the Millers’ attack and the goal was no more than he deserved.