Stoke City 1-1 Wolves: Jimenez scores first goal since comeback
Raul Jimenez celebrates his equalising goal- his first since returning from a fractured skull.  (Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

Wolves showed signs of improvement in pre-season as they drew 1-1 with Stoke Cityon Saturday afternoon.

Bruno Lagenamed a strong starting 11 at the Bet365 Stadium with only two weeks until their Premier League campaign gets underway. 

Raul Jimenez's first goal since returning from a fractured skull was the game's main talking point, levelling the scoring after ex-Wanderers captain Danny Batth had put the Championship side ahead.

Story of the match

Wolves made three changes to the side that fell to defeat against Las Palmas on Monday evening, with Jimenez joining Conor Coady and Adama Traore on returning to action after their short break following the European Championship.

An attacking trio of Francisco Trincao, Jimenez and Traore looked dangerous on paper, with Lage starting with a back five for the first time in his reign.

Their opponents had ex-Wanderers Batth and Steven Fletcher playing against their former employers, with summer signings Ben Wilmot and Mario Vrancic also starting.

In an opening 20 minutes which consisted of both sides missing the final pass and touch to their moves, the home side were presented with a chance to go ahead when Ruben Neves' poor pass went straight to Fletcher- but the Scottish forward's effort was even poorer and went wide.

Moments later Wolves registered their first real attempt on goal after a traditional Traore run ended with Jimenez's looping header being easily saved by Joe Bursik.

Against the run of play, the Potteries went ahead after a scramble inside the penalty area ended in Batth notching his effort against the post and into the net. 

Jose Sa had originally done well to deny Fletcher's point-blank flick, but his teammates couldn't prevent Batth from tapping the ball home.

Only three minutes later and Wolves had themselves level. Nelson Semedo's left-footed strike deflected the ball across Bursik and to Jimenez for the Mexican's first goal since his return to action.

Embed from Getty Images

Failing behind seemed to change Wolves' way of playing, with more forward passes and inverted runs from out wide ultimately providing the chance for Jimenez to equalise.

Wolves utilised their squad in the second half, with Neves, Yerson Mosquera and Neves coming off in place of Morgan Gibbs-White, Leander Dendoncker and Max Kilman.

The alter is personal didn't change the system as Kilman replaced Mosquera as the right central defender, Dendoncker partnered Moutinho in midfield and Gibbs-White took the role as an inverted winger on the right.

Wolves' Premier League pedigree began to show clear as short, smart passes in Stoke's half continued as they waited for that final ball. Gibbs-White, who was impressive yet again, nearly scored his second goal of the summer after he ran onto Jimenez's threaded ball before being smartly denied by Bursik.

Strikers Patrick Cutrone and Fabio Silva were introduced in the final 15 minutes to try and nick a winner, but Wolves' final pass remained missing.

Italian Cutrone did come close to winning the game for the visitors after he latched onto Romain Saiss' diagonal ball. He managed to get his strike off but it was denied by Bursik's feet.