Sheffield United 0-0 Coventry City: Blanks fired in Bramall Lane stalemate
Photo: Nigel Roddis/Getty Images

Coventry City battled to earn a point in a 0-0 draw against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.

The Blades were booed off the pitch at halftime after failing to produce a single effort of note, but they dominated the final half-hour and it took a great save by former Blades keeper Simon Moore to deny Morgan Gibbs-White a late winner.

Story of the match

In a fast-paced start to the match, Callum O'Hare won the ball on the byline and burst into the box, finding Viktor Gyokeres who couldn’t get his shot away. At the other end, John Fleck fired wide.

Ben Sheaf then tested Wes Foderingham, forcing the Sheffield United goalkeeper to dive across goal and save with a strong hand from his 25 yard shot.

Sheaf continued to be a threat and his well-timed pass played in Gyokeres, but he was pulled down by John Egan. The resulting free kick saw Gus Hamer effort fly over the top of the bar.

Todd Kane then tried to find Gyökeres at the back post, but the Sheffield United defense scrambled the ball away.

The Sky Blues then tried to hit the Blades on the counter after Conor Hourihane's free kick was claimed by Moore. His long kick found Fankaty Dabo, who set up O’Hare, but his effort was blocked before Sheaf played in Kane, but his cross was cleared.

A minute before halftime Enda Stevens made some space for himself on the edge of the box, but his cross was well wide of Moore’s goal.

As the Blades looked to start another attack Sheaf cleared the ball to O’Hare, who flicked the ball past his man to set Jamie Allen on the counterattack.

The midfielder’s well-timed pass found Gyökeres out wide who turned Chris Basham to get into the box but his shot was blocked in the final meaningful action of the half.

Coventry had the first chance of the second half when Foderingham needed to get down low to stop Gyökeres’ goal-bound effort.

Jayden Bogle then managed to get an effort across goal that looked like it could sneak in but Moore was alert to the danger.

The visitors continued pressing with Dabo’s cross picking out Gyökeres whose header landed in the path of O’Hare, but the midfielder couldn’t get a shot away.

Just after the hour mark, substitute Matty Godden fired in a shot that was well saved by Foderingham after O’Hare played the striker in.

Hourihane then set up Gibbs-White on the edge of the area but the Wolves loanee’s effort went just wide of Moore’s right-hand post.

A minute later, Gibbs-White turned provider when he played the ball across the box to substitute David McGoldrick, but he blasted the ball well over the bar.

The hosts' pressure was building with Hourihane the next to have a go, his effort from 30 yards out going wide of the post.

Tyler Walker won a free kick after he was fouled by Egan with Kane’s set-piece being headed over for a corner.

A good touch by Walker to bring the ball under his control gave the Sky Blues another chance at goal but O’Hare’s low drive was stopped by Foderingham.

The excellent Gibbs-White then teed up McGoldrick for a shot but the ball was caught in the mid-air by Moore. He was then played in over the top, but he couldn’t find the target.

Another strong save from Moore denied Gibbs-White again before Kyle McFadzdean slid in to block another shot by the Blades’ number 27.

Hourihane then sent another shot wide and with that the referee blew his whistle with the spoils shared in a lively encounter on South Yorkshire.

Man of the match: Simon Moore

Most of Sheffield United's offense came in the final half-hour of the match, but when the Coventry goalkeeper was called on, he made every save necessary to deny the Blades.