Hull City 0-1 Preston North End: Stubborn Lillywhites end Tigers winning run
HULL, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 05: Preston North End's Cameron Archer shoots at goal during the Sky Bet Championship match between Hull City and Preston North End at KCOM Stadium on February 5, 2022 in Hull, England. (Photo by Andrew Kearns - CameraSport via Getty Images)

Cameron Archer scored the only goal of the game early in the second half to halt Hull City's winning run and claim all three points at the MKM Stadium. The away side had goalkeeper Daniel Iversen to thank as well as an offside flag for keeping the score at 1-0, but Ryan Lowe's men held off their hosts to claim the win.

  • Story of the match

Both the home and away supporters got behind their team from the off at the MKM, and it was Hull City who had the first chance from a corner. Di'Shon Bernard's header took a deflection after George Honeyman's corner and Daniel Iverson did well to claw the ball off the line after only two minutes.

Hull were dominating possession with Preston happy to try counter on the break, and Tom Eaves did well to win a corner on eight minutes. The ball in from Honeyman just evaded Jacob Greaves, and City couldn't make their pressure count. Preston were trying long diagonal balls - particularly down the left flank - but Brandon Fleming started the game very well in only his second start of the season.

City got a warning when a ball down the middle almost saw Cameron Archer in behind, only for Greaves to get a crucial touch. Up the other end, Greg Docherty tried to square the ball when he should perhaps have had a go himself after great work from Tom Eaves. Preston then tried to come forward in a game that was starting to open up a little bit after a cagey opening 20 minutes. A goalmouth scramble in the Hull box almost saw Preston score but for Sean McLoughlin on the line.

Preston forced numerous corners as the mid point of the first half approached, and another goalmouth scramble saw Hull survive again with McLoughlin and Ingram coming to City's rescue. The home fans were woken up when Emil Riis Jakobsen went down holding his head after a Bernard challenge, and then Eaves' header was somehow saved by Iversen at point blank range.

Fleming won a free kick on the half hour mark, but Bernard could only find the side netting with a header from a tight angle. The game was becoming more frantic with ten minutes of the half remaining. Ingram then saved well after the Hull defense gave the ball away too cheaply, and then Cameron Archer hit the post with Hull's goal living a charmed life. Keane Lewis-Potter was almost put in behind after a great ball from Honeyman, but Iverson was there to sweep up just before the half time whistle.

Half time: Hull City 0-0 Preston North End

Neither side made any changes at half time and Preston looked the most likely to score - which they thought they had four minutes in - but the referee had already blown for a handball by Alan Browne before the ball was thumped into the net. Two minutes later though, Preston were ahead. Cameron Archer finished well after City again gave the ball away too cheaply.

Embed from Getty Images

City needed to wake up from their slumber and Fleming did well to win a corner on 55 minutes. The home crowd felt Eaves was held in the box and wanted a penalty, but nothing was given. Eaves did then have the ball in the net after Docherty's cross only for the flag to go up. 

The home side brought on new signing Marcus Forss and Alfie Jones, but it didn't look likely that they would trouble the Preston goal. The away side were happy to sit back after taking the lead and it had a feeling of textbook away performance from the Lillywhites. A great block from McLoughlin cut out Daniel Johnson's cross to prevent them going two up.

Great play from Fleming saw Smallwood's effort deflected behind for a corner, but Jones couldn't head on target after Lewis-Potter's cross from the first clearance. Allahyar Saayedmanesh made his debut off the bench for the home side late on, but even he couldn't inspire the Tigers to rescue a point.