Huddersfield Town 2-0 Luton Town: Terriers edge to victory in crucial promotion clash
The John Smith's Stadium in Huddersfield was the setting for this promotion chasing battle
Alex Dodd - Getty Images

Goals from Jon Russell and Naby Sarr were enough to see Huddersfield Town claim back-to-back wins, boosting their play-off chances, and keeping their automatic promotion hopes alive.

For Luton Town it means three games without a win in the EFL Championship, leaving them looking over their shoulder nervously at the chasing pack.

Although it could have been so much different for them, had Elijah Adebayo not missed a penalty whilst Huddersfield led by just the one goal. 

Story of the match

The home side began the contest on the front foot, with Sorba Thomas putting a low ball into the path of Lewis O'Brien, only for the Irishman to put his shot well over after five minutes.

A long range shot on 20 minutes from Russell also flew high over the bar for Huddersfield, as the game got off to a niggly start.

The Terriers grew into the game however, as not long later, Daniel Sinani forced a save out of Luton keeper James Shea after some good play.

Thomas nearly took advantage of this good spell to find the opener, seeing his shot take several deflections off Hatters defenders before luckily falling into the grateful arms of Shea.  

It wasn't until the 37th minute for the away team to work Huddersfield's Lee Nicholls for the first time, as Harry Cornick tried his luck from 20 yards out.

In contrast to the first period, it was the visitors that began the brighter in the second half, but were unable to fashion any clear cut chances before the Yorkshire side gained a foothold once again.

And on the hour mark the deadlock was broken by the side that deserved it most, as Pipa's throw-in bounced in the area, before Russell lofted a brilliant shot over Shea to bring the game to life. 

However, less than ten minutes later, Luton were offered a way back into the game, as James Bree was pushed to the ground by Sinani and the referee pointed to the spot.

But Adebayo was unable to take advantage, sending the penalty wide to keep the score at 1-0.

Both sides had half chances in the closing stages before the game was eventually put to bed on 89 minutes, as substitute Sarr met a Thomas corner at the back-post to head home for all three points.  


Carlos Corberan can start to look up rather than down

This game was labelled as a big one prior to kick-off, with fourth hosting fifth, meaning neither side could afford to slip up. 

So the men in blue and white have cause to celebrate after coming away with maximum points, a result that they deserved on the balance of play.

Town now find themselves a healthy six points clear of seventh placed Blackburn Rovers, with there still being a possibility that they can catch Bournemouth with five games to go.

Luton left rueing penalty miss

Although they probably deserved nothing from an uninspiring performance, the pivotal moment in the game for Nathan Jones' side came with just over 20 minutes to go.

Had Adebayo converted his chance from 12-yards, then we could have been left with an entirely different outcome. But he missed, and they failed to properly threaten the hosts from then on.

It leaves Luton in fifth, just two points into the play-offs and a daunting home game against in-form Nottingham Forest coming up, meaning this was a match they really needed something from. 

Man of the match

Sorba Thomas

Huddersfield wideman Thomas was a constant threat throughout the game, setting up chances as well as creating several for himself. 

He was unable to get the goal his performance warranted, but did provide the assist for the goal that wrapped the tie up for his side. 

His rise from non-league into the first team has been exceptional, and Town will no doubt be hoping he can further showcase his talent as the season comes to a close.