Brighton 0-0 Newcastle: Brilliant Pope denies Seagulls all three points
Photo: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

Brighton & Hove Albion played out a goalless draw against Newcastle United in their first home match of the Premier League season at the American Express Community Stadium.

The Seagulls were on the front foot for much of the match with Magpies goalkeeper Nick Pope producing a brilliant display to deny the hosts.

Both teams sit on four points after their opening two matches and will look to continue their unbeaten run next weekend when Brighton face West Ham United and Newcastle host Manchester City.

Story of the match

Brighton won three corner kicks in the opening six minutes of the match with none seriously threatening the Newcastle goal. Leandro Trossard saw his shot deflected over by Sven Botman.

Callum Wilson thought that he had given the visitors the lead after finding the back of the net, but the goal was ruled out for a questionable high foot.

Pope was called into action again, spilling Trossard's next chance and getting a hand to an angled strike by Solly March, but with the ball looking as if it were rolling in, Kieran Trippier made a vital clearance.

On 20 minutes, Trossard was able to evade Trippier, Pope denying him, the Belgian snatching at the second attempt and Danny Welbeck unable to control the rebound.

Allan Saint-Maximin was booked for diving, but he fashioned Newcastle's first chance of the match on 27 minutes, finding Miguel Almiron in space, but he fired over.

March then exchanged passes with Pascal Gross and his angled shot was spilled by Pope with Trippier again coming to the visitors' rescue with a second vital clearance.

Brighton continued to dominate proceedings, Moises Caicedo seeing his long-range strike saved by Pope and Adam Lallana feeding Alexis Mac Allister, who side-footed well over the target.

As halftime approached, the Newcastle goalkeeper again frustrated the hosts, saving from Lallana, who shot on the turn.

Halftime: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United

Four minutes into the second half, Lallana was again denied by Pope, who made a brilliant, diving, one-handed save and followed by tipping over March's drive.

Embed from Getty Images

After March and Joelinton were booked, the Magpies then had their best spell of the match as Veltman was forced to clear away a Saint-Maximin cross with former Brighton defender Dan Burn meeting the resulting corner from Trippier, but heading woefully off-target.

Lallana was replaced by Enock Mwepu and at the other end, Burn slid in to prevent Welbeck from getting a shot off. Lewis Dunk then got in his own timely challenge against Willock.

Mwepu found March eight yards from goal, but Pope was able to save with his legs. Tariq Lamptey and Kaoru Mitoma, who was making his Premier League debut, were introduced for the Seagulls.

Eddie Howe then introduced Sean Longstaff and Jacob Murphy and soon after Mitoma burst down the left resulting in a chance for Veltman that struck Burn and appeared to be going in, Fabian Schar with a timely clearance.

Mitoma again showed his class, picking out Gross, but his strike from six yards was pulled wide.

Chris Wood was thrown on for Newcastle, but he played little role in the remainder of the contest as the visitors had their goalkeeper to thank for earning a point.

Player of the match: Nick Pope

The former Burnley shot-stopper was chosen over Martin Dubravka and on a day when his defense constantly allowed Brighton time and space and the Newcastle attack created very few quality chances, he showed why Howe picked him, making seven crucial saves in a magnificent performance.