Sky Bet League One round-up: Top two fail to win as Lincoln City go four clear at the top
(Photo by Andrew Vaughan - CameraSport via Getty Images)

Frozen fields led to more games being called off in the football league this weekend. In League One, the likes of: Blackpool vs Peterborough, AFC Wimbledon vs Rochdale, Crewe Alexandra vs Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers vs Swindon and Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town were called off.  

Hull City 0-1 MK Dons

The biggest upset of the day came at the KCOM Stadium, where mid-table MK Dons came away with a 1-0 victory in the latter moments of the game.

MK Dons started well from the get-go as they were looking the more dangerous out of the two sides in the first half, with Hull City goalkeeper Matt Ingram brilliantly keeping out Will Griggs’ half-volley at the back post.

The defining moment of the game came on the 80th minute. Referee Declan Bourne awarded the Dons a penalty after a handball off Matt O’Riley’s vicious hit. Scott Fraser made no mistake and punished the Tigers.

Hull have now failed to score in their last three league games and now sit three or six points away from league leaders Lincoln City.

Charlton 2-3 Gillingham

One of the best games of the day came at the Valley with Charlton entertaining Gillingham.

It took only 30 seconds for the Gills to break through the Addicks’ defence, with a long ball forward not dealt with, Olly Lee curled one home from outside the penalty area.

The hosts brought it back on 15 minutes, with Chucks Aneke striking home from close range.

Charlton were putting serious pressure on the Gills, but it was Gillingham who snuck ahead before the break. Connor Ogilvie’s stunning 25-yard volley put them in the lead.

Seven minutes into the second half and Charlton were back level, Jayden Stockley headed home courtesy of Andrew Shinnies’ cross.

Tempers flared in the closing stages and Aneke took it a step too far. Two bookings in quick succession led to him having to make his way back to the dressing room.

Captain fantastic Kyle Dempsey stepped up and won it for Gillingham. Inside the final five minutes, Dempsey skipped through the Charlton defence to secure all three points for the Gills.

Charlton are stuck outside the play-offs, whilst Gillingham sit in 14th. The Gills could potentially be on for a play-off fight, with a few more wins under their belt.

Sunderland 4-1 Doncaster Rovers

A superstar showing from Sunderland striker Charlie Wyke was the talking moment at the Stadium of Light, with him scoring all four goals to give the Black Cats all three points.

In just twelve minutes, Wyke had banged two headers into the net to send Sunderland on their way.

On 31 minutes, it was the same combination. An Aiden McGeady cross to Wyke for him to seal his hat-trick of headers.

Sunderland goalkeeper Lee Burge offered Donny a lifeline as the ball came off the post to hit Burge and go over the line to make it 3-1.

Minutes later and number four came for Wyke. Incredibly though, this was another header. A fantastic showing from the number nine to give him 21st goal of the season in all competitions.

Burge made up for his own goal though by stopping a potential fightback from Doncaster. He displayed some penalty heroics, not once but twice as he stopped an attempt from Jon Taylor, as well as substitute Jason Lokilo.

A win for Sunderland keeps them four points behind Donny in the table.

Northampton Town 0-2 Burton Albion

A huge clash between the bottom two this weekend took place at Sixfields, as Burton Albion scored two late goals to come away with three points.

Burton Manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink enjoyed his return to Northampton where he spent a large part of the 2017-18 season as Cobblers boss, before he was sacked.

Jon Brady took caretaker charge of Northampton for the first time since Keith Curle’s sacking.

The Cobblers pressed from the start and were unlucky not to be in front, with Lloyd Jones being deemed offside after heading home, whilst Ryan Watson smashed the crossbar.

Burton gradually performed better throughout the game and in the 77th minute, Northampton goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell unwisely picked up a back pass, Michael Bostwick took advantage and drilled the ball in to give Burton the lead.

A stoppage-time strike from Ryan Edwards gave Albion all three points, as they stay bottom of the table, now only two points adrift of Northampton, who sit one place above.

Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Plymouth Argyle extended their unbeaten run to eight League One matches with a 1-0 home win over mid-table Fleetwood Town.

Argyle, now only three points off the play-off spots, took an 11th-minute lead when visiting defender Harrison Holgate turned Byron Moore's cross from the right in at the far post.

Cod Army came closest to levelling in the first-half with Dan Batty’s long-range effort curled over the bar.

Argyle continued to push for a second with Kell Watts and Panutche Camara, coming close.

Fleetwood are slowly slipping away from the play-off spots and getting closer to the relegation zone.

Oxford United 2-1 Wigan Athletic (Sunday)

Heartbreak for Wigan Athletic as they let a one-goal lead slip in the final moments of the game, with Oxford United coming away with a massive three points.

The second half of Oxford's League One fixture against Wigan was delayed due to a fire in one of the floodlights at the Kassam Stadium.

It was goalless at the break and all come to life in the second half. The Latics took the lead with Callum Lang scoring from around eight yards out.

Sam Winnall got the game level after Brandon Barker delivered a perfect cross to the forward to bury his header past Wigan goalkeeper Jamie Jones.

Seven minutes left of normal time, and operation comeback was complete. Elliott Moore’s stretched out leg gave United the lead and all three points.

Oxford continue their fantastic form, as their unbeaten in their last seven games at home in League One.

They move up to 7th, whereas, Wigan stay in the relegation zone in 22nd.

Lincoln City 2-2 Accrington Stanley (Sunday)

Accrington Stanley stole the show with a last minute equaliser to deny league leaders Lincoln City three points.

The Imps goalkeeper Alex Palmer gifted Dion Charles with the ball for him to give Stanley an early lead at the LNER Stadium.

A well delivered cross from Brennan Johnson gifted Morgan Rogers' a header to give Lincoln the equaliser eight minutes into the second half.

On the 84th minute, Tom Hopper headed the Imps in front. They were on course to go six points clear at the top.

That was until that man Charles stepped up again, and volleyed home a second for Stanley, as they stole a point against the leaders.

Lincoln stay top, moving four points clear of Hull. Accrington are two points shy of the play-offs, but have games in hand to gain their place there in the coming weeks.