A Lyndon Dykes second-half double secured an impressive win for Queens Park Rangers against Manchester United in a pre-season friendly. 

Jesse Lingard got United's afternoon off to a bright start with a calm finish less than four minutes into the match. But QPR's Charlie Austin equalised moments later with a simple header after he was left unmarked. 

In the second half, the London side ran riot. A fortuitous deflection for QPR meant that Lee Wallace could find the substitute, Lyndon Dykes, with a cut-back who hammered the ball past Lee Grant to give the home side the lead. 

Moses Odubajo then lit up the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium with a stunning strike from distance to not only beat Grant but to make it 3-1. 

QPR were not done there, Dykes got his second of the game and made it 4-1 to the hosts. 

Anthony Elanga pulled one back for United with a tidy finish from outside the box, which was nothing more than a consolation. 

Story of the game 

United got off to a flying start to the game before QPR pegged them back. Lingard put the away side ahead less than four minutes into the match with a routine finish into the bottom corner.

It came after some good buildup play from United with Mason Greenwood zipping a ball out to Facundo Pellistri who then slipped in Lingard to finish. 

QPR responded excellently with a well-worked goal of their own. Austin found space behind Teden Mengi - who was oblivious to the striker's positioning - and converted with a free header. On United's behalf, their defence went to sleep as Austin was completely unmarked. 

At half-time the two sides went into the break all square and United made four changes. Anthony Elanga, James Garner, Juan Mata and Lee Grant all came on. 

Elanga could have and should have made it 2-1 after being on the pitch for a matter of seconds. It was United on the counter again when Greenwood found Elanga sprinting behind QPR's last line of defence but a heavy touch let the Swedish striker down. 

An unfortunate deflection for United led to Wallace's fine cut-back for the substitute Dykes to smash the ball past Grant to give QPR the lead.

It was then Odubajo who caused an eruption inside the stadium with a thunderbolt of a strike which left Grant no chance. 

QPR did not settle for three as they scored a fourth and Dykes got his second with a neat finish drilled into the bottom corner.  

Embed from Getty Images

Elanga finally got on the scoresheet with a neat left-footed finish from outside the box. In a similar way to his performance on the final day of the 2020/21 season against Wolves, he wasted a few chances but managed to get one. 

For United and Solskjaer it was definitely about getting the youth as much time on the pitch as possible. For the majority of the second half, they fielded a team filled with players from the under 23s with the exception of Juan Mata and Grant. 

About the author