Crystal Palace 2-2 Leicester City: Foxes squander two-goal lead at hands of resilient Eagles
(Photo by Mike Hewitt - Getty Images)

Crystal Palace came from two goals down in the second half to pick up a valuable point in the Patrick Vieira era, lifting the Eagles to 14th in the Premier League.

Although it was Vieira's rebuilt Palace who were authoritative in the first half, quickfire goals from Kelechi Iheanacho and Jamie Vardy undid the home side's tight grip on the contest.

But failing to score a third cost Brendan Rodgers' Foxes in the second half, as they continued their frustrating start to the season; their worst under the Northern Irish tinker man.

Substitutes Jeffrey Schlupp and Michael Olise got on the scoresheet to condemn Leicester City to their fifth points drop of the league campaign in just seven games. 

  • The match

Patrick Vieira named an unchanged lineup from the draw against Brighton in midweek, but unfortunately for the Frenchman, the squad wasn't the only thing that was left unchanged from last time out. Palace's ominous lack of clinical finishing remained a permanent fixture in the first half at Selhurst Park on Sunday. 

Although it was confidence-drained Leicester City who had the first opportunity of the game, with Jamie Vardy narrowly missing a tantalising dead-ball cross from Youri Tielemans, it was the Eagles who enjoyed an assertive 30 minutes. 

Odsonne Edouard, Conor Gallagher and Jordan Ayew combined on the edge of the box just a couple of moments after, failing to stick the ball past Kasper Schmeichel, but it proved to be the chance that catalysed a fusion of pressure towards the visitor's box. 

10 minutes had flown by before Vieira's men applied the pressure, though, but from then on, Leicester were camped in their own half. James McArthur read a forward pass from the Foxes and fed the ball to Wilfried Zaha, whose shot was palmed away into the path of Conor Gallagher, forcing a double save.

The pressure that Leicester soaked up in the first 10 minutes continued until the half-hour mark. Palace looked to step onto their visitors in an attempt to capitalise on Brendan Rodgers worst start to a Premier League Campaign.

And as the half abraded, the Foxes hope of a spell of dominance seemed all the more impaired. But a momentary lapse in concentration from Joachim Andersen soon changed that.

Embed from Getty Images

Kelechi Iheanacho pounced upon a defensive error, before bearing down on goal and calmly slotting the ball past the helpless Vicente Guaita. The Nigerian striker plunged a dagger into the ominous grip that Vieira's side had on the first half.

Not long after, Jamie Vardy slotted home comfortably to double the deficit, handing Palace's attackers a stern lesson in clinical finishing. Again, it was Andersen who suffered the consequences of ball watching.

  • Second half

As Leicester City weathered the storm in the first half, capitalising on defensive blunders, they faced a new storm in the second segment of play in the form of a blustery South London afternoon.

But they showed early signs of adding a third to their lead in the first few passages of the play. Youri Tielemans' streamlined passing opened up the Palace defence, giving his frontmen the license to attack.

Vardy tanked down the Palace right, but his cross was met by Guaita. Moments later, Harvey Barnes tried to beat the Eagles goalkeeper at his near post, but as he later discovered, it was a chance he was made to rue.

Crystal Palace had to get the next goal in the game, and if Edouard had acted with more composure on the 50th minute, Selhurst Park could have been injected with hope. Instead, the Frenchman blazed the ball onto the crossbar when he had done all the hard work to get himself into a golden position in the box.

But it wasn't long until the crowd was reinvigorated through the help of Michael Olise, who made an almost instant impact from the bench.

Embed from Getty Images

The 19-year-old Reading youth graduate made full use of a Tyrick Mitchell cross, hooking his first-ever Premier League goal into the back of the net. 

The substitutions became an omnipotent feature of the second half. While Roy Hodgson was slammed for his decision making, Patrick Vieira's decision to bring on Jeffrey Schlupp was embraced by the Holmesdale End.

45 seconds after his arrival, the winger planted a headed goal to put his former side to the sword. A pinball in the box wasn't cleared and Schlupp was alive to the situation, lifting the Selhurst spirit into the heavens.

With 20 minutes for either side to find a winner, it was Palace who remained authoritative, passing the ball around with confidence. However, emotions were running high and tackles got harder.

A thundering tackle from Mcarthur stopped Vardy in his tracks to halt a promising counterattack, but bites were regular for the remainder of the game.

The Palace midfield dictated most of the rest of the game, making up all the running in the search for a third dagger. But as time wore on, either side will reflect on the draw differently.

While Leicester will be disappointed to squander a two-goal lead, Palace will feel they could have done more to finish the Foxes sooner, but Vieira will be delighted with his side's mentality in the second half.