Bristol City 2-1 Reading: Robins pile pressure on Royals
 Antoine Semenyo of Bristol City celebrates after scoring their sides first goal with team mates during the Sky Bet Championship match between Bristol City and Reading at Ashton Gate on February 09, 2022 in Bristol, England. (Photo by Harry Trump/Getty Images)

 A Goal from Antoine Semenyo and an own goal helped Bristol City to a 2-1 win over Reading on Wednesday evening.

In a quiet first half, the hosts took the lead just before the break through Semenyo, when he scored the rebound after Andreas Weimann's shot was initially blocked.

They then doubled their lead early on in the second half, when Semenyo combined with Cameron Pring and his cross went into the Reading net through Royals centre-back Michael Morrison.

Reading were given a lifeline when John Swift scored from the spot, but couldn't make their many late chances count.

This result means Bristol City rise to 16th in the Championship, whilst Reading remain in 21st, just two points above the relegation zone.

Story of the match

In a very quiet opening 15 minutes, it was Reading who had the first chance of the game, when Junior Hoilett picked up the ball at the halfway line and drove forward to play through Tom Dele-Bashiru who making a driving run in from the left, only for his deflected strike to go wide.

It wasn't a good start for the hosts Bristol City, however, with midfielder Han-Noah Massengo being forced off through injury, being replaced by Joe Williams.

Another quiet 15 minutes followed, with the only meaningful attempt at goal coming from Jay Dasilva, cutting in into his left foot and forcing a save from Royals debutant Karl Hein.

Closing into half-time and the Robins piled on the pressure and it paid off, with Weimann's initial shot blocked but Semenyo was there to poke in the rebound from six yards out, which gave Bristol City a 1-0 lead going into half-time.

In the first half, there was little quality from both sides on show, and the away side especially were needing to step it up in the second half if they were going to get anything from this game.

Bristol City had other plans though and made it 2-0 just two minutes into the second half. Cameron Pring and Semenyo combined inside the box, and Pring's cross was turned into his own net by Michael Morrison.

Reading kept trying to create chances, but to little success, Tom Ince having a half-chance just past the hour mark, popping a shot from the edge of the box, only for Max O'Leary to perform a simple save.

Just afterwards and Semenyo almost got his second after he was gifted the ball by Hein in the Reading net, but he was inches away, hitting the post.

Ten minutes later and Reading were given a lifeline, with Ince being taken down in the box and the Royals were given a penalty, substitute Swift converted from the spot.

After the goal, Reading continued to press on for an equaliser, creating a number of chances, but none of them led to a goal. The closest they got was when Morrison headed just wide three minutes from time.