Leeds United 1-1 Leicester City: Honours even after exciting end-to-end clash
Harvey Barnes of Leicester City celebrates after scoring their sides first goal during the Premier League match between Leeds United and Leicester City at Elland Road on November 07, 2021 in Leeds, England. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Leeds United and Leicester City played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at Elland Road on Sunday afternoon.

After an end-to-end start, Leeds took the lead through a free-kick from Raphinha who scored his fifth goal of the season. The Brazilian’s whipped effort found its way through the bodies in the box to nestle in the bottom corner.

However, instantly after the opening goal, Harvey Barnes equalised with a stunning effort. The winger curled a superb strike into the top corner to level it.

Ademola Lookman then had a goal ruled out for offside by VAR late on to deny Leicester the three points.

Both sides did manage further chances to score the winner, but the points were shared meaning the teams remain where they are in the Premier League table.

Story of the Match

Leeds made one change to their starting line-up with Adam Forshaw coming in to replace Jamie Shackleton.

Leicester switched formation to a 433, after starting the past few games in a 3412 system, with Wilfred Ndidi returning from an injury. He played in the middle whilst Brendan Rodgers opted to play with wingers, bringing in Barnes and Lookman.

It was an electric start to the game at Elland Road as both teams burst out of the blocks. Rodrigo tested Kasper Schmeichel with a curling effort before Barnes had an effort saved by Illan Meslier at the other end.

Leeds then began to overwhelm the visitors and were forcing mistakes out of the Foxes defence. Misplaced passes led to chances for Jack Harrison and another for Rodrigo, who’s shot was saved for a corner that resulted in another save from Schmeichel to keep out Kalvin Phillips.

This period of pressure continued and eventually, Marcelo Bielsa’s side took the lead. Raphinha was fouled on the right side of the box and from the resulting free-kick, the Brazilian curled a left-footed effort into the bottom corner.

Embed from Getty Images

The lead was deserved for the hosts but Leicester were able to bounce back instantly. Barnes cut in onto his right foot and whipped a stunning shot into the top corner. This was the third time this season that the Foxes had scored an equaliser only a minute after going behind.

Youri Tielemans would have the final chance of the first half. He combined with Lookman who’s pass was just too heavy and gave Tielemans a tough task to keep his shot down.

Right after the break, Leeds were spared blushes after Liam Cooper’s backpass slipped under the feet of Meslier and luckily skimmed past the post.

Then Bielsa’s side had a superb chance to take the lead. A corner was whipped into the area and flicked on to find Harrison at the back post and somehow the winger put the ball over the bar from two yards.

Another chance for Leeds followed as they piled on the pressure once again. Rodrigo found himself in acres of space at the back post but the Spaniard couldn’t hit the target with his volley.

With 20 minutes to go, Leicester thought they had taken the lead through Lookman. He tapped in at the back post after Jamie Vardy’s flick-on and wheeled away in celebration before VAR found he was offside by a foot.

Embed from Getty Images

After further end-to-end action, the Foxes could have won it through Wilfred Ndidi. The Nigerian had a free shot on goal on the edge of the area but blazed his effort over the bar. 

Leeds then had a brilliant chance of their own in stoppage time. Raphinha had two attempts on goal, one that was blocked by Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and the other that flew off target. 

Neither side could find a breakthrough despite having plenty of opportunities and the points were shared.