Hull City 0-1 Fulham: Mitrovic scores winner to give Silva's men all three points
(Photo by Andrew Kearns - CameraSport via Getty Images)

Aleksander Mitrovic scored the winning goal early in the second half against Hull City at the MKM Stadium as Fulham solidified their place at the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

Embed from Getty Images

Marcus Forss had the best chance in the first half for the home side, who switched to a 4-2-3-1 after the midweek defeat to Derby County. Fulham weren't sparkling and Hull City were dogged in their pursuit of the League Leaders but the Serbian Mitrovic proved too much for the Tigers and revelled in the anger directed at him from the home crowd.

  • Story of the match

Fulham got the game underway with the rain pouring down in East Yorkshire and as expected, dominated the early stages. Brandon Fleming did particularly well to keep his cool at the far post of his own goal after a Fulham attack, chesting back calmly to goalkeeper Matt Ingram to snuff out a promising attack only two minutes in.

Neco Williams put a fantastic ball into the area on seven minutes and Sean McLoughlin did well to head away for a corner. The home side managed to defend the two following set pieces but it looked like the Tigers faithful would have a long afternoon if the opening stages were anything to go by.

Aleksandar Mitrovic chested the ball down for ex-Tiger Tom Cairney to have a pop at goal, but his effort went high and wide. Lewie Coyle did well to win a free kick for Hull on 13 minutes after a good little spell of pressure, but George Honeyman couldn't deliver a good enough ball into the box. 

Regan Slater was the first player to go into the book with a robust challenge on Harry Wilson, but the returning midfielder could probably count himself unlucky to get booked so early on before the 20 minute mark. Wilson was incredibly quick to get up when the booking was dished out, it has to be said. Matt Ingram was then caught out of position by Wilson but blazed over the bar - again, playing against his former club.

Wilson raced through on 25 minutes but Ingram saved very smartly to put a stop to the attack. Fulham were looking dangerous and the home crowd were getting frustrated with the man in the middle as they felt numerous fouls given to the away side were soft and unworthy free kicks.

The pitch was starting to become a little bit of a quagmire in some parts, and it hindered a Hull City attack on 33 minutes. Keane Lewis-Potter did well to win a free kick and Brandon Fleming's delivery found Richie Smallwood but Tim Ream headed clear. After working the ball back, George Honeyman had a shot blocked that remarkably was given as a goal kick after it went wide - but the home side were starting to come into the game a little with half time only ten minutes away.

Marcus Forss should have put City ahead on 38 minutes but his shot just went wide of the far post. Coyle then did really well to win a free kick and Mitrovic tried to play-act to get Coyle booked - which the referee saw straight through. Forss then headed just wide as the game started to hot up, with Slater, Smallwood and Jacob Greaves all getting huge cheers for big 50/50 challenges. The referee's whistle went for half time with City arguably on top.

Half time: Hull City 0-0 Fulham

Neither side changed things up at the break and Fulham came out determined to get ahead in the game. It was only down to Coyle that Neeskens Kebano didn't score on 49 minutes, and then Honeyman was penalized for a foul 35 yards out. A well worked routine followed but Ingram did well to hold onto the ball headed back by Ream.

Great work in midfield by Smallwood saw Lewis-Potter have a shot well saved by Marek Rodak, and the rebound didn't drop for Ryan Longman. Ingram then had to be at full stretch after a Fulham counter attack and the away side won a corner. Perhaps typically, Mitrovic headed in his only real effort on goal just before the hour mark and took great delight in celebrating in front of the home supporters.

City looked a little shell-shocked and were then on the back foot for the next ten minutes or so. Fleming went into the book as the home side became more and more frustrated. Tyler Smith then entered the fray replacing Marcus Forss, who had worked hard without any reward. Greaves had a marauding run forward on 72 minutes but just couldn't find a Black and Amber shirt in the Fulham box.

Mitrovic was replaced to a cocophony of boos with ten minutes to go and although the home side had grafted as hard as they could, they just couldn't get through the quality that Fulham had all over the pitch. Smallwood's effort did test Rodak on 84 minutes but the away side were proving very difficult to break down. Bobby Decordova-Reid rightly went into the book for stopping Fleming attacking towards the end of the game and then the Hull City Man of the Match then won a free kick in injury time but Fulham defended well to take all three points.