Portsmouth 4-1 Cambridge United: Pompey run riot in second half
Photo: Robin Jones/Getty Images

Portsmouth recovered from a goal down to blow past Cambridge United 4-1 in EFL League One action at Fratton Park.

Joe Ironside put the U's in front on the half-hour mark, finishing at the near post, but Colby Bishop equalised on the stroke of halftime.

The hosts scored three times within a 15-minute span in the second half through Ronan Curtis, Michael Jacobs and Connor Ogilvie to wrap up all three points.

Story of the match

Danny Cowley made three changes for Pompey as Tom Lowery started in the centre of midfield with Owen Dale and Curtis also coming into the starting lineup. Jacobs, Louis Thompson and Reeco Hackett all came off the bench.

Cambridge boss Mark Bonner opted for four changes to the side that defeated Exeter City with Greg Taylor, Brandon Haunstrup, Liam O'Neil and Shilow Tracey replacing George Williams, Lewis Dunk, Adam May and James Brophy.

It was a feisty affair right from the off as O'Neil was shown a yellow card after two minutes after a high, late challenge on Lowery.

Curtis then fashioned the first chance for the hosts, but he went wide with the chance. At the other end, Tracey robbed Michael Morrison of possession, but Griffiths denied him, saving with his legs.

The U's should have opened the scoring on 27 minutes. Tracey escaped his markers and played in Jubril Okedina, who picked out Sam Smith and his flick to Ironside was again stopped by Griffiths.

Three minutes later, the visitors did open the scoring. O'Neil swung in a corner kick and Ironside met it at the near post to finish past Curtis.

Embed from Getty Images

Dimitar Mitov was called into action near the end of the first half, stopping Bishop's shot, but in the third minute of stoppage time, a cross by Dale was to Sean Raggett, who found Bishop to tap home.

Portsmouth came out firing to begin the second half, Raggett seeing his header blocked after meeting Dale's cross and the latter then going narrowly over.

Tracey had a powerful shot blocked and O'Neil forced a fine save from Griffiths with a well-hit strike from the edge of the box.

Mitov then committed a rare mistake that gave Pompey the lead. He failed to hold the ball from a deep corner by Lowery with Curtis taking advantage, scoring from a few yards away.

Bonner then made a triple change in the 67th minute with May, Brophy and Dunk replacing O'Neil, Haunstrup and Harvey Knibbs.

Lowery and Dane Scarlett came off for the hosts with Thompson and Jacobs coming on.

The lead was doubled when low Curtis delivery from the right found Bishop and he laid it off for Jacobs, slotting past Mitov from 12 yards away to make it 3-1.

Embed from Getty Images

Jacobs and Dale were then subbed off, making way for Joe Pigott and Hackett. 

Hackett made an immediate impact, setting up Portsmouth's fourth, sending in a cross that Ogilvie got to first to head home and cap a dominant second half.

Player of the match: Marlon Pack

He was a towering presence in the Portsmouth midfield, allowing for much of the free-flowing play to come through his area with superb work. Pack was given a deserved standing ovation after being taken off near the end of the match.