Southampton 0-1 Newcastle United: Joelinton makes it advantage Newcastle after first leg
Photo: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

Newcastle United hold the advantage heading to St. James Park next week after a narrow win at Southampton in the first leg of their Carabao Cup Semi-Final.

Joelinton’s effort after 73 minutes proved the difference in a tight contest at St. Marys, with Saints finishing with ten men after Duje Caleta-Car saw red for two bookings late on.

Adam Armstrong also had a goal ruled out after VAR judged him to handle the ball as he bundled home soon after the hosts fell behind, but it’s Eddie Howe’s side who are in control at the halfway point of the tie.

Alcaraz, Orsic make debuts

Nathan Jones gave both January signings their full debuts from the start, with Carlos Alcaraz and Mislav Orsic among the four changes from the team that lost to Aston Villa three days earlier.

Alcaraz had an impressive debut in midfield for Saints
Alcaraz had an impressive debut in midfield for Saints

Newcastle, meanwhile, named the same team that were held to a goalless draw at Crystal Palace on the weekend and started on the front foot.

Miguel Almiron broke free down the right before he fired the ball across the area to Joe Willock, but he could only pick out the back of the stand of home supporters.

Sean Longstaff then couldn’t find a Magpies team mate when he flashed a low ball across the six yard box before Caleta-Car picked up his first booking before the half hour mark – scything down Almiron who was looking to break through on goal down the right hand side.

Willock again spurned a good chance to hit the target after Kieran Trippier whipped the ball in to the far post, before the Magpies thought they had taken the lead.


Gavin Bazunu produced a fine save to keep out Willock before Mohamed Salisu’s great block denied Callum Wilson. The ball dropped to Joelinton who fired home the loose ball, but referee Stuart Attwell judged the Brazilian to have used his arm to control the ball and ruled it out.

Joelinton had a first half goal chalked off for handball
Joelinton had a first half goal chalked off for handball

Saints then forced Nick Pope into action for the first time when Alcaraz fired a low effort which the keeper pushed away, before the keeper came out and headed clear a ball over the top and clattered Moussa Djenepo in the process – with the winger forced off looking dazed after the collision.

Pressure from the visitors continued after the break, with Joelinton guilty of missing from six yards with the goal gaping after good work from Almiron.

But it wasn’t all Newcastle. Adam Armstrong, who replaced Djenepo before the break, looked a threat and he drove at the defence before firing just over the top corner.

Che Adams and Samuel Edozie then came on after the hour mark, and the former had a great chance to put Saints ahead within moments of coming on.

Alcaraz played a great ball through for the striker to run onto and one on one with Pope, saw his low effort kept out by the foot of the England stopper.

Barely a minute later Pope denied Adams once again, this time diving low to his left to turn the Scotsman’s shot on the turn away from goal before Lyanco fired over the bar from just outside the area.

Joelinton taps in Isak's great low ball to give his team the lead


But just when it looked like Saints were on top, Newcastle finally took their chance. Alexander Isak did well down the right and burst into the penalty area before firing the ball low across the six yard box where Joelinton was on hand to turn it in having made a great run which wasn’t picked up by the home defence.

No goal

However, it looked as though Saints had drawn level less than two minutes later. Edozie kept the ball alive on the left and Armstrong eventually bundled the ball in under pressure from Dan Burn, but a VAR check showed the ball had come off his hand and was ruled out.

<strong><a  data-cke-saved-href='' href=''>Adam Armstrong</a></strong> had his goal ruled out after VAR
Adam Armstrong had his goal ruled out after VAR

And things got worse for Saints late on, with Caleta-Car shown a second yellow card late on after tripping Allan Saint-Maximin outside the area.

Newcastle couldn’t take advantage of their numerical difference late on, with Isak firing into the side netting in stoppage time, but going into the second leg it is still all to play for.