Manchester City 2-2 Liverpool - Etihad thriller ends all square
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - APRIL 10: Gabriel Jesus of Manchester City and Andrew Robertson of Liverpool during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Liverpool at Etihad Stadium on April 10, 2022 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

Liverpool twice came from behind to nick a point from league leading Manchester City in a thriller at the Etihad Stadium.

Story of the Match

Manchester City began the afternoon a point ahead of their title rivals, and it was they who started the quicker of the two, Alisson forced into action early to deny Raheem Sterling from close range.

But the reprieve proved to be short-lived, as Kevin De Bruyne, so often the difference maker for Manchester City in these high-profile clashes, fired home from the edge of the box. A huge deflection off the leg of Joel Matip leaving Alisson helpless.

Embed from Getty Images

Liverpool were slow to get going at the Etihad, but they soon found themselves level. A superb cross field ball by Thiago was cut back to Diogo Jota by the advancing Trent Alexander-Arnold, the Portuguese made no mistake in converting from close range.

Manchester City soon reestablished their dominance, with Raheem Sterling enjoying plenty of success down the Citizens' right flank. Both he and Joao Cancelo were left ruing missed opportunities.

City took the lead for a second-time shortly before half-time, as Gabriel Jesus - a surprise selection in Pep Guardiola's starting XI - beat the offside trap to turn home a delightful cross-field ball from Cancelo.

Liverpool were a shadow of their usual selves in the first 45,  but whatever Jurgen Klopp said to them at half-time worked, as the visitors found themselves level just 46 seconds after the restart.

It was all too easy from a City perspective though, as Mohammed Salah was afforded far too much time to spin and pick out the run of Sadio Mane, who made no mistake in firing past Ederson to bring the hunting party level.

Embed from Getty Images

It looked as though City had taken the lead for a third time shortly after the hour mark, as Sterling raced onto De Bruyne's through ball. But despite finishing expertly past the advancing Alisson, a VAR check confirmed that the Englishman was marginally offside. The scores remained level.

Both sides wrung the changes in search of a late winner, Roberto Firmino and Luis Diaz sent on for visitors whilst Jack Grealish and Riyad Mahrez entered the fray for the hosts.

Manchester City had a huge chance to nick all three points at the death as De Bruyne slid Mahrez in behind, but the Algerian's lifted effort had a little too much on it as it flew over the crossbar.

In a game dubbed to the be the title decider, it would end all square, Manchester City retaining their one-point lead at the top of the Premier League.

Manchester City: Ederson; Walker, Stones, Laporte, Cancelo; Rodri, De Bruyne (C), Bernardo; Sterling, Jesus, Foden

Manchester United: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson (C), Thiago; Mane, Salah, Jota