Manchester City 2-1 Paris Saint-Germain - Citizens come from behind to secure Group A top spot
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 24: Raheem Sterling of Manchester City celebrates scoring his teams first goal during the UEFA Champions League group A match between Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain at Etihad Stadium on November 24, 2021 in Manchester, England. (Photo by James Gill - Danehouse/Getty Images)

Manchester City secured themselves the top spot in Group A, as they came from behind to see off Paris Saint Germain at the Etihad Stadium.

Goals from Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus cancelled out Kylian Mbappe's opener, as the Citizens booked their place in the UEFA Champions League knockout stages for a ninth successive season. 

Story of the Match

There was a party atmosphere inside the Etihad Stadium - heightened by a pre-match performance from award winning DJ duo Camelphat - with the home fans looking to spur their side onto a victory that would secure them top spot in Group A with a game to spare. 

Manchester City's sluggish start ultimately cost them in the reverse fixture, but there was no danger of that in the opening exchanges as the hosts dominated from the first whistle, with inform Spaniard Rodri's headed effort cleared off the line after just six minutes.

It was one-way traffic throughout the majority of the first 45, with the home side denied twice in a matter of 60 seconds. A fortuitous deflection fell the way of Ilkay Gundogan, whose effort from the edge of the box struck the outside of the post, before Keylor Navas denied Riyad Mahrez moments later.

With half-time fast approaching it was the visitors who were handed a gilt-edged opportunity to open the scoring. Neymar caught John Stones napping in midfield, feeding Kylian Mbappe through on goal. However with just the goalkeeper to beat, the Frenchman fired high and wide as the sides enter the sheds level.

Lionel Messi had been a mere bystander throughout the first 45, but it was his brilliance that paved the way for Mbappe to open the scoring just four minutes into the second half.

The Argentine ducked and weaved his way through the Manchester City penalty area, before firing a low ball across goal that - courtesy of a huge deflection off Kyle Walker - found its way to an unmarked Mbappe at the back post. The 22-year-old showed composure beyond his years to slot the ball between Ederson's legs to give the Parisians the lead.

Embed from Getty Images

Pep Guardiola wasted no time in calling for reinforcements, bringing Gabriel Jesus on in place of Oleksandr Zinchenko as the hosts reverted to a more attacking formation in a bid to break down the stubborn and well drilled PSG back four.

The hosts finally got the breakthrough that their dominance warranted just after the hour mark. Rodri's clipped pass over the defence found the onrushing Walker, who put the ball on a plate for Raheem Sterling to tap home at the back post.

Embed from Getty Images

With both sides all but assured of a place in the last 16,  it came down to a 30 minute standoff to see who would be declared the group victors, and it was Manchester City who would cease the opportunity.

Mahrez' deep cross to the back post found an unmarked Bernardo Silva, who unselfishly laid the ball off to Gabriel Jesus to turn home from six yards out. PSG left ruing a huge opportunity spurned by Neymar Jr just moments prior.

Paris threw bodies forward in search of a late equaliser but it proved in vain, as Manchester City held on to book their place in the last 16 as Group A winners.

Manchester City: Ederson; Walker, Stones, Dias, Cancelo; Rodri, Gundogan (C), Zinchenko; Mahrez, Bernardo, Sterling

Paris Saint-Germain: Navas; Hakimi, Marquinhos (C), Kimpembe, Mendes; Paredes, Herrera, Gueye; Messi, Mbappe, Neymar Jr