The NRL returned to action following an extended break due to the Coronavirus pandemic and there was fears that it would take a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of it. Those fears were quickly erased.

Here is the full rundown of all the action from Gameweek 3.

Eels flying start continues

The first game of the weekend saw the Parramatta Eels, who had won their opening two fixtures before the break, travel to the Suncorp Stadium to face the Brisbane Broncos, who themselves had picked up two wins from two.

The sides last met in the playoffs last season when the Eels thrashed the Broncos 58-0 and yet again, they never looked in danger of losing the match.

They took a 12-6 lead into the sheds having edged a tight first half but the visitors ran away with it in the second 40 as they ran in four more scores to no reply to reaffirm themselves as strong title contenders.

Titans struggles continue

The Gold Coast Titans early season struggles continued as they fell to yet another heavy defeat. This time at the hands of the North Queensland Cowboys.

Reece Robson and Ben Hampton ran in two tries apiece whilst fullback Valentine Holmes kicked all six of his efforts at goal as the Cowboys cruised to a 36-6 victory at the Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

Roosters regain Sydney bragging rights

There was the small matter of the all-Sydney clash between the Roosters and the Rabbitohs and it was the defending champions who put their poor start to the season behind them to pick up their first victory of the campaign against their fierce rivals.

It was the hosts who took the inititive early on, scoring two tries in the opening half hour to open up a 12-0 lead.

Cameron Murray’s try just before halftime cut the defecit to just six points but two Roosters tries in the opening ten minutes of the second half all but put the game to bed as the Roosters curised to a 28-12 victory.

Warriors put the Dragons to the sword.

Two of the teams struggling before the break came up against each other in round three as the New Zealand Warriors welcomed the St. George Illawarra Dragons to their makeshift home at the Central Coast Stadium.

Despite being hampered by injuries, particularly in the pack, the Warriors put in an impressive performance as they breezed past an underwhelming Dragons side.

It was a near perfect night for the New Zealand outfit as they maintained a 100% completion rate through their first 44 sets of the game, their only blemish coming in the 75th minute when Jack Murchie lost the ball in the tackle.

It is a much needed victory for the Warriors, who have had to move over to Australia for the forseeable future whilst the Coronavirus pandemic begins to slow down.

Tigers shock the Sharks

One of the most impressive performances of the weekend came in Cronulla where the West Tigers completed a second-half comeback to defeat the out-of-sorts Cronulla Sharks.

The visitors came flying out of the blocks and lead by ten after just seven minutes but a quick turnaround saw the hosts up by six at the break.

They would fail to add any more points in the second half though, as the Tigers scored three unanswered tries to complete a 28-16 victory.

Raiders maintain perfect start

The Canberra Raiders maintained their perfect start to the season as former Wigan halfback George Williams inspired his side to a 22-6 victory in Melbourne.

Williams ran the Storm defence ragged in the first 40 as he set up tried for Jordan Rapana and Nick Cotric before Dale Finucane reduced the defecit for the Storm.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad extended the lead back to twelve points just before the break and that was how the scores would stay until the last minute of the game when Joseph Tapine went over to seal an impressive victory for last seasons runners up.

Panters and Knights split the points in thriller

Arguably the most exciting game of the round came at the Cambelltown Sports Stadium where the Penrith Panters and the Newcastle Knights took home a share of the points after a thrilling 14-14 draw.

The Panthers will be disappointed having let an early 14-0 lead slip but credit to the Knights who put up a resolute defensive display in the second to level the scores and send the game to golden point extra time.

The extended break looked as though it played a part when it came to nailing drop goals as both sides failed to hit the target in the golden point period as they played out the first draw of the NRL season.

Tommy Turbo inspires Manly to victory

The final game of round three took place in Manly where Tom Trobjevic inspired his side to a 32-6 rout of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The State of Origin fullback had a hand in five of the Sea Eagles tries, picking up two scores and three assists, as they picked up their second win from the opening three rounds.

There was a slight concern with the boot of Reuben Garrick as the usually dependable goalkicker nailed just two of his seven attempts on the night.

About the author