Highly respected transfer guru Gianluca Di Marzio reports through his website that Sassuolo have knocked back a €13 million offer for Nicola Sansone from Villarreal.
Sansone played a key role in Sassuolo securing Europa League football for the first time in their history for this upcoming season and put in many inspired performances scoring seven times and setting up four in 37 Serie A outtings.
Di Marzio further reports that a revised offer is expected to be lodged in coming days but it appears Sassuolo are very reluctant to see the 24-year-old German born Italian international depart the MAPEI Stadium just yet.
Having started his footballing career with Bayern Munchen II, he moved to Parma in 2011 and made over half a century of appearances in a three year spell before joining the neroverdi outright having been co-owned by the clubs previously.
Not the first rejection
The €13 million offer Di Marzio speaks of appears to be a second offer for Sansone after Sassuolo' director Giovanni Carnevali confirmed on Friday that an approach from the yellow submarine was turned down, "Villarreal asked for Sansone, but we want to go forward with these lads" he said firmly.
He also spoke of Domenico Berardi in the interview with Mediaset Premium saying he, alongside Sansone is "undoubtedly off the market" for the simple reason, "we don't need to sell."
Berardi had allegedly been Juventus bound and it's also said Juventus have a say in where he next ends up but the Sassuolo board have stressed that the bianconeri have no power over the matter.
Earlier in the mercato, the Emilian club waved goodbye to highly rated full back Sime Vrsaljko who headed for Atletico Madrid and his sale is presumably the reason why Sassuolo aren't needing to sell either of Berardi or Sansone.