0-1 Diame 96, 1-1 Snodgrass 99
Hull City 1-1 Newcastle United (3-1 on penalties): Tigers sneak into first ever League Cup semi

Hull City 1-1 Newcastle United (3-1 on penalties): Tigers sneak into first ever League Cup semi

Hull City progressed to the EFL Cup semi-finals with a tense penalty shootout victory.

Chris Lincoln
Hull CityJakupovic; Elmohamady (Weir 79), Maguire, Dawson, Robertson (Tymon 79); Huddlestone, Livermore (Henriksen 79), Meyler; Snodgrass; Mbokani, Diomande
Newcastle United Sels; Anita (Yedlin 109), Lascelles, Clark, Lazaar; Ritchie (Atsu 81), Shelvey, Hayden (Murphy 105), Gouffran, Diamé; Gayle
REFEREENeil Swarbrick (ENG): Booked - Snodgrass, Hayden, Gouffran, Robertson, Huddlestone, Lascelles. Sent off - Mbokani.
INCIDENTSLeague Cup fixture.

Hull City goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic was the hero as a string of saves during the preceeding 120 minutes were followed up with two penalty shootout stops as the Tigers progressed to the semi-finals of the EFL Cup.

Newcastle take control before Hull ease themselves in

The visitors dismissed any fears of being positioned a league below Hull and were the dominant side in the first half. Championship hotshot Dwight Gayle tested second choice goalkeeper Jakupovic, before Mo Diame headed half a chance over against his former club. Another former Tiger, Isaac Hayden, went close from range as the hosts managed just two shots in another poor opening 45 minutes.

It was almost deja-vu after a similar performance against West Brom at the weekend and once again it was down to Robert Snodgrass to spark a second half revival. Dangerous particulalry from set-pieces, Snodgrass edged his side further forward and his delivery to Jake Livermore almost broke the deadlock.

With the hosts threatening from numerous free-kicks, Newcastle would have been well advised to avoid fouling Hull in dangerous areas. Yet the game was beginning to simmer and eventually it boiled over just before extra-time. Jamaal Lascelles caught Dieumerci Mbokani with a dangerous challenge, before the powerful striker reacted by aiming his head towards the Newcastle captain. The DR Congo international received his marching orders, leaving Hull with ten men for the always tiring period of extra-time.

Mbokani reacts to Lascelles (photo: Getty Images)
Mbokani reacts to Lascelles (photo: Getty Images)

Extra-time brings the game to life

That incident was to be the spark to light the bonfire as a laboured game burst into life. Newcastle smelt blood as Ciaran Clark reacted quickest to a Vernon Anita cross, only to see his effort palmed away. The visitors then made their pressure count as Diame was on hand to convert a goalmouth scramble and seemingly send his former club out of the EFL Cup.

It could have been easy for a Hull side lacking with confidence to throw in the towel but they were not prepared to give in that easily. Markus Henriksen went down the other end and hit a powerful shot that was spilled by Matz Sels into the path of that man Snodgrass. There was only ever going to be one outcome as the Hull lynchpin equalised against the odds.

Newcastle responded with a barrage of attacks but could not find a winner as substitute Daryll Murphy was thwarted by Jakupovic, before Gayle fired over a decent opportunity. Henriksen ensured Hull kept a vested interest in front of goal as he also smashed an effort just over the crossbar.

Enter penalties...

Jakupovic kept out Jonjo Shelvey with a smart save down low, before teammate Snodgrass gave the hosts the advantage as he fired into the top corner. Newcastle top goalscorer Gayle then succumbed to the pressure as he hit the crossbar, before Michael Dawson sent Hull 2-0 ahead with a placed finish in the bottom corner.

Christian Atsu gave the visitors hope, only to see Tom Huddlestone sneak his strike under Sels. Yet Yoann Goufrann had to score to keep Newcastle in the competition and he was kept out by the inspired Jakupovic as Hull progressed to the final four.