Salford Red Devils 22-18 Catalan Dragons: Red Devils advance in Golden Point thriller
ST HELENS, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 18: Dan Sargison of Salford Red Devils celebrates as he crosses the line to score a golden points try in extra time for victory over Catalans Dragons during the Coral Challenge Cup Quarter Final match between Catalans Dragons and Salford Red Devils at Totally Wicked Stadium on September 18, 2020 in St Helens, England. (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

The Salford Red Devils are the first team in the hat for the Challenge Cup semi-final draw after Dan Sarginson's Golden Point try sealed a remarkable win for Ian Watson's men.

Story of the Match

With a playoff spot now little more than a pipe dream, Salford came into the game knowing that the Challenge Cup was their only realistic hope of any silverware this season, and they couldn't have got off to a worse start.

Krisnan Inu sent his kick-off out on the full to hand the Catalan Dragons the early initiative and they took full advantage, opening the scoring after just four minutes.

Fouad Yaha was the man to get the opener, going over in the corner after some fine play in the Dragons halves. James Maloney was off target with the conversion attempt.

The depleted Red Devils were up against it in the opening 20 minutes and they soon found themselves 12 points behind after a quickfire eight points from Maloney.

The former Penrith man adding two points via a penalty conversion before converting his own try just five minutes later.

Despite seeing very little of the ball in the first quarter of the match, Salford found themselves back in the game just shy of the half hour mark.

Sarginson - back in the side for the first time since the beginning of August - touching down after some fantastic work from Inu, who, in converting Sarginson's try, amassed 1000 career points.

Inu added to his personal tally five minutes later. The big New Zealander forcing his way over in the corner to reduce the deficit to just two points heading into the sheds.

Salford were looking for a fast start in the second half but soon found themselves down a man after Pauli Pauli was sent to the sin bin for a high challenge on Maloney, and the Dragons soon made their numerical advantage count.

After hammering away at the Salford line for what seemed like an eternity, Matt Whitely reached out to touch down. Maloney's conversion made it a two-score ballgame.

But again the Red Devils hit back. James Greenwood - back for a second spell with the Red Devils - powered over from close range to score and bring his side back within four. Inu's conversion again made it a two-point ball game.

With the clock running down, a moment of madness from Sam Kasiano - who obstructed the Red Devils' play the ball on the Dragons line - saw the Dragons' forward sent to the sin bin and Inu handed the simplest of opportunities to level the game up.

He made no mistake from the tee. The scores level with just three minutes to go.

Despite two long range drop goal attempts, Salford could not find the winner in regulation time, as the match headed to Golden Point.

After a strong defensive effort in the opening set of the additional period, the Red Devils advanced the ball to the Dragons 30 and looked to be handing Inu the opportunity to make it third time lucky with the drop goal attempt.

However, with a numerical advantage on the left flank, the Red Devils opted to run the ball, firing it out to Dan Sarginson out on the wing, with the stand in fullback jubilant as he ran the ball in under the sticks to seal a memorable win and book his sides place in the last four.