On This Day: Late Ebanks-Blake penalty ends Wolves' poor run
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake tucks away the match-winning penalty at Selhurst Park 12 years ago today. (Photo by Tom Shaw/Getty Images)

Although it's been six years since their last match on the date, Wolverhampton Wanderers fans will still hold fond memories of matches on March 3rd in years gone by. 

Recent wins have seen poignant moments, goalkeeper howlers and late goals, so it's time to take a trip down memory lane and look back at some great Wolves games from on this day. 

  • Wolves 2-0 Nottingham Forest, Molineux, 2001

Wolves picked up their second win under new manager Dave Jones on this day in 2001, as they beat Nottingham Forest 2-0 in what was an emotional day at Molineux.

Before the game a minute's silence took place in honour of the club's greatest ever manager, Stan Cullis, who had passed away three days earlier at the age of 84. 

Embed from Getty Images

On the pitch, Wolves paid tribute to Cullis in the best possible way. After going close a couple of times early on, Wanderers' task was made much easier just before the break as Forest midfielder Andy Johnson was sent off for punching Kevin Muscat

Wolves made the extra man count just three minutes after the interval, but were again helped by their visitors as young defender Gareth Edds found the back of his own net from a corner. Jones' side made sure of the points just after the hour mark, as Adam Proudlock fired past Forest's 41-year-old keeper Dave Beasant

The afternoon went from bad to worse for Forest, who had future Wolves loanee Marlon Harewood sent off in the 82nd minute for a second bookable offence. 

Although Jones resurrected Wolves' poor start to the season that saw Colin Lee sacked in December, the 44-year-old could only lead them to 12th place at the end of the campaign. 

  • Luton 2-3 Wolves, Kenilworth Road, 2007

Play-off chasing Wolves picked up their fifth consecutive win as they beat Luton Town 3-2 in a topsy-turvy game at Kenilworth Road on this day in 2007.

Mick McCarthy's side took the lead on 10 minutes as veteran captain Gary Breen glanced home Michael Kightly's free-kick to score his first, and only, goal for the club. 

Luton equalised when Lewis Emanuel's long-range effort was deflected in by Breen, before the Hatters took the lead on the stroke of half time as Leon Barnett headed home a corner. 

Embed from Getty Images

Wanderers drew level after the restart as Kightly's saved shot fell into Andy Keogh's path. Karl Henry then netted a fortunate winner, as his long-range strike was fumbled in by Luton keeper Marlon Beresford

Wolves would turn five consecutive wins into six the following week by beating West Bromwich Albion 1-0 at Molineux, but their season would ultimately end at the hands of their Black Country rivals in a 4-2 aggregate play-off semi final defeat. 

  • Crystal Palace 0-1 Wolves, Selhurst Park, 2009

Championship leaders Wolves ended a five-game winless run by beating Crystal Palace 1-0 at Selhurst Park 12 years ago. 

Julian Speroni saved well from Kightly and Chris Iwelumo early on but Palace also had their chances, the best of which came when Paul Ifill's low free-kick was brilliantly tipped onto the post by Wayne Hennessey

Embed from Getty Images

The game-changing moment came in the 74th minute, when Clint Hill tangled with Kightly in the area and was deemed to have fouled the Wolves winger, much to the protests of Palace manager Neil Warnock

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake sent Speroni the wrong way from the spot to pick up his 22nd of the season, which earned Wolves a crucial three points. 

McCarthy's side would only lose one more game all season, and clinched promotion to the Premier League with two games to spare.