Marcel Brands, Everton’s director of football, has extended his contract with the club meaning that he will remain on Merseyside until at least 2024.
Brands joined Everton from PSV Eindhoven in June 2018 and became part of the club’s board in the following January. The Dutchman believes that progress is being made by the club, both on and off the pitch, and an important summer is ahead to ensure that manager Carlo Ancelotti has the players he needs to take Everton to the next level.
“Everton is a very special football club and a club with clear and exciting ambitions,” Brands said. “We are making good progress and I believe we have everything in place for us to be successful.
“I am delighted to continue to work alongside such supportive and ambitious colleagues on our board and executive team and this, together with such a talented manager and supportive owner and chairman, puts us in a really strong position for the future.”
The three-year contract extension sees Brands continue his role of overseeing Everton’s entire football strategy from academy to first team. His current contract ends in May.
The job that Brands has done so far is seen as largely positive. His recruitment of Ancelotti in December 2019 was a major coup for the club and the relationship that the pair have developed over the past 18 months is considered to be a major reason behind the positive undertones both in the boardroom and on the pitch.
✍️ | Contract Extension: 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐞𝐥 𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬.⁰⁰— Everton (@Everton) April 21, 2021
Our Director of Football has signed up for another three years! 🤝 pic.twitter.com/SfdLhvELHJ
Managing to obtain the calibre of coach that Ancelotti represents has enabled Everton to bring in players such as James Rodriguez and Allan, who are both players which may not have joined the club had Ancelotti not been in situ.
Since Brands took on the director of football role, Everton have finished in eighth and twelfth place in the Premier League. They are currently eighth and face a tough job of realising their aim of qualifying for European competition next season with only seven games remaining. A top six finish is the immediate aim, but so is bringing an end to 26 years without a trophy.
Everton’s form has dropped off since the new year with their form at Goodison Park being particularly underwhelming. Ancelotti led the team on a seven-game winning run at the start of the campaign and they have also defeated Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, who they face again this weekend.
The signs are there that Everton are building a team to properly challenge at the upper-end of the table but this summer will require more additions to turn the squad into a more competitive and stronger one. Hence, Brands’s renewal is welcomed news for Everton supporters.
Club chairman, Bill Kenwright, said: “There hasn’t really been any doubt for some time that Marcel and I would sit down and agree a new contract. With Farhad’s blessing it took us around about one play of Z Cars to reach an agreement.
“As well as being terrific at his job, Marcel has an excellent working relationship with Carlo and with our CEO, Denise, and myself and it was important to maintain the structure and stability we have put in place over recent years.
"Farhad and I both wish our leadership team success and happiness as we all work together to build an exciting future for our great club."