Newcastle United 2-4 West Ham United: Antonio equals Hammers goalscoring record in second half demolishment of Magpies
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - AUGUST 15: Michail Antonio of West Ham United celebrates after scoring their side's fourth goal during the Premier League match between Newcastle United and West Ham United at St. James Park on August 15, 2021 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

West Ham United had to come back from behind twice to secure a 4-2 victory over Newcastle United at St James' Park. The Magpies went ahead with a Callum Wilson effort after Allan Saint-Maximin produced some fine trickery to allow the cross to be completed. West Ham equalised after Aaron Cresswell's cross touched no one and found the bottom corner. Newcastle took the lead with Jacob Murphy heading home Matt Ritchie's cross just before halftime. 

The second half was all West Ham United as Saïd Benrahma levelled the game up with Declan Rice robbing Saint-Maximin inside his own half. West Ham were awarded a dubious penalty in which debutant Freddie Woodman saved but  Tomas Soucek fired home the rebound.  The comeback was completed when Benrahma fed through Antonio the West Ham striker did not make a mistake and scored his 57th goal for West Ham to become the Hammers joint top Premier League goalscorer – equalling Paolo Di Canio.  

Story of the game

Newcastle were on the ropes early following an Aaron Cresswell corner not being dealt with. Craig Dawson directed a loose ball goalwards, and Miguel Almrión clears with a goal-saving header.

Less than five minutes later, Newcastle won the ball high up the pitch with Jonjo Shelvey stealing it from Cresswell. Shelvey gave it to Allan Saint-Maximin; the Frenchman's trickery allows him to get space on Declan Rice and fire the ball into the area. Callum Wilson was in front of his marker and fired the ball into the net to put the Magpies one nil up after just five minutes. 

The game calmed down for ten minutes as both teams allowed themselves to grow into the game. West Ham allowed the early setback not to faze them as they created two half-chances in five minutes, with the final ball from both full-back Cresswell and Vladimir Coufal being poor.

All until the 17th minute with the Hammers patiently building up around the Newcastle area. Aaron Cresswell delivered a beautiful ball across the face of the goal. No West Ham player touched it, and after a VAR review, the goal was given to the full-back. 

The game opened up after West Ham's equaliser as Jarrod Bowen and Callum Wilson both enjoyed chances. Wilson was one on one with his back to goal, but his inventive backheel wasn't enough to trouble Hammers keeper Lukasz Fabianski. Bowen's effort was tame and forced a goal-saving save from  Freddie Woodman after beating five defenders on a mazy run. 

Newcastle were determined to restore their lead, with Saint-Maximin being at the heart of every move. Miguel Almiron darts back and forth on the front of the 18-yard area before his shot is blocked and loops onto the bar.

With half an hour gone in the game, both teams deserved to be level, and Newcastle had enjoyed the majority of possession. Newcastles next big chance came from a corner with Matt Ritchie's ball landing perfectly around the six-yard box. All Ciaran Clark had to do was direct it goalwards. Clark miss-timed his jump, however, and the ball soared over. 

The Magpies lead was restored with some patient build-up play down the left-hand side. Almiron and Ritchie combined for the Scotsman to produce a world-class cross into the area, and Jacob Murphy arrived at the back post to head home Newcastles second. 

Saïd Benrahma went close to levelling the game back with a 25-yard shot that spilt past Freddie Woodman's far post. Emil Krafth nearly put Newcastle further ahead before halftime whistle with a volley from 12 yards out, and his effort whistled over the bar. 

West Ham and Newcastle both produced moments of brilliance during a very even first half. 

The first chance of the second fell to West Ham with a Pablo Fornals free-kick going high Jonjo Shelvey was booked for the challenge resulting in the free-kick. 

West ham equalised a minute later with Saint-Maximin losing the ball in the Newcastle half and Declan Rice getting his own back from the first goal. Michail Antonio provided a cross into the area, and Saïd Benrahma headed into the back post scoring his first of the season. 

Newcastle got new wind in their sails following the equaliser by West Ham. Saint-Maximin seemed determined to make up for his mistake leading the goal. 

The Frenchman created two chances in quick succession, one across the face of goal, the other a swirling cross from the edge of the area. Both needed a touch to go in and restore the Magpies lead. Neither received one. 

West Ham did take the lead in the sixty-third minute following a questionable penalty decision by referee Martin Atkinson. Jacob Murphy is deemed to have fouled Fornals, and Micheal Antiono steps up to take it. Woodman saves it, and Tomas Soucek buried the rebound. 

Double the lead, double the pain for Newcastle. In less than five minutes, West Ham doubled their lead following a superb counter-attack in which Benhrama played in Antiono, who made no mistake and fired his effort in the opposite corner. Woodman had no chance.

Newcastle did not look like creating anything else, so Ryan Fraser came for a pace injection and another goal-scoring threat for Newcastle. West Ham, however, keep on pushing forward with threats from Antiono, Soucek and Benhrama. 

West Ham had more chances to further stretch the lead with Soucek having an effort deflected behind. 

In the 84th minute, Steve Bruce called it quits on the game and went into rehabilitation mode for the Magpies, this meant the substitution of Callum Wilson. With that being said, two minutes later, Jacob Murphy had a mazy run into the area and produced a ball across the face of the goal. Fraser tried to poke it, hope to set up a nervy finish, but West Ham cleared. 


Allan Saint-Maximin must be protected at all times

Allan Saint-Maximin is a super star. All Newcastle fans know this, but the french talisman was brilliant today and at the heart of all Newcastle moves going forward. Without his spark, Newcastle would have looked as flat as they did in the last half an hour when Declan Rice took Saint-Maximin out of the game with his play. The Frenchman must be protected from picking up the niggling injuries he did last season. This can be achieved by substitutions and rests. However, the number of times games will be out of sight so ASM can rest is few. 

David Moyes continues to impress as West Ham boss

Much was said over the summer about West Ham’s fall from grace as no singing had been made and the Hammers best player in the second half of last season, Jesse Lingard.  this season West ham will rely heavily on Saïd Benhrama. The Winger looked excellent today and was threatening from word go with his darting runs. David Moyes gave him the same job a Lingard had last season and it has worked. When West Ham went down initially to Newcastle, Moyes did not panic or rip up plan A he stuck to his game plan and West ham were deserved winners. 

Starting XI's

Newcastle United: Woodman; Murphy, Krafth, Ferndández, Clark, Ritchie; Hayden, Shelvey, Almrión; Wilson, Saint-Maximin.

West Ham United: Fabianski; Coufal, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Rice, Soucek; Bowen, Benrahma, Fornals; Antonio