US Open 2016: No delays for Murray as he reaches round three under the roof
(Picture from Eurosport)

US Open 2016: No delays for Murray as he reaches round three under the roof

The British number one beat Spaniard Marcel Granollers on the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Joe Nicholson

It’s not the first time that torrential downpours have caused postponements at the US Open, however Andy Murray is safely through to the third round without a delay.

The British number one hasn’t dropped a set in his opening two matches and will be spared the angst of waiting around in the locker-room, following a 6-4 6-1 6-4 victory over Marcel Granollers under the new roof on the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

It was the first time that the British number one had played in such conditions, and the roof will be welcome addition to many at this year’s competition.

One thing it didn’t affect, though, was Murray’s performance, and the Brit will now face Italian Paolo Lorenzi in round three.

Aggressive from the off

Murray arrived in New York in arguably the best form of his career, having lost just one match since the French Open final at the beginning of June.

The re-appointment of coach Ivan Lendl has no doubt been a telling factor, and under the Czech’s guidance Murray now looks like a far more aggressive player from the back of the court.

Of course the details are very slight for a man with Murray’s ability and work ethic, however the results have been significant.

Following Novak Djokovic’s recent struggles, the British number one is many people's favourite to lift the title which he won here back in 2012.

He has negotiated the opening rounds with relative ease and stole an early lead against Granollers when he broke the Spaniard in the second game of the match.

Murray stamped down his authority from the off, striking the ball on the baseline and racing to a 5-2 lead.

Granollers attacks the net

To his credit, that’s when Granollers began to cause some problems and began to change the dynamics of the match with some sudden forays to the net.

The Spaniard is also an established doubles player so he wasn’t short of volleying practise when he began to charge forward.

Murray lost his serve for the first time, and then saw six set points come and go before he finally closed out the first set with a spectacular forehand pass.

The series of long and arduous games continued at the start of the second and Murray was forced to save two break points at 1-1.

Murray weathers the storm

From there the second seed stepped on the accelerator and reeled off a run of five games in a row to take the set in 35 minutes- finishing with an ace.

In the third set both players picked up their serves and Granollers managed to keep his nose in front until the score reached 4-4.

That was when Murray pounced. He pressed again to go up 15-40 and then converted the second break point when Granollers sent a forehand long.

A game later Murray served out the match, sealing the victory in two hours and 22 minutes.