Classic Match: Burnley 4-3 Preston North End
Laurence Griffiths/GettyImages

Here is a throwback to a classic derby-day for Burnley when local rivals Preston North End came to town. Blackburn Rovers were a Premier League mainstay, at this point, which tells you all you need to know about how long ago it was. Ten years ago, derbies against Preston were as big as they came. 

They came into this match with differing perspectives. Burnley manager Brian Laws wanted to maintain his positive start to life in the Championship while Preston's Darren Ferguson just wanted to get some points on the board. 

Early action

The Clarets took the lead when Chris Iwelumo headed home a Ross Wallace corner. Keith Treacy could not engineer a goal-line clearance and, despite Andy Lonergan scooping clear, the ball had already crossed the line. 

Preston were soon level, though, through Adam Barton.

Clarke Carlisile misjudged John Parkin's header down and Barton capitalised, racing through one-on-one before slotting past Brian Jensen. There was a level of controversy about the goal, however, with Barton using his hand to get the ball under control. Controversy was a key theme in this tie!

There was an aggressive derby feel to the match with Wade Elliott and Billy Jones getting cautions for getting shirty. 

Soon after, Keith Treacy rattled the woodwork with an audacious effort from the left-hand-side but he wasn't to be denied twice. 

The Irishman again burst into space in-between David Edgar and Andre Bikey. This time, Treacy drilled a powerful low strike across Jensen and in off the post. Away day delight for the visitors. 

Burnley tried to respond and Dean Marney forced Lonergan into a smart save. However, it all seemed a bit disjointed from the hosts and Preston sensed some joy on the counter-attack. 

Paul Parry was almost in on goal as the result of one long pass but Danny Fox applied some pressure and he screwed his effort wide. Still, the Clarets didn't learn their lesson. 

Treacy this time turned provider, planting a stunning first-time cross into the box where Parkin smashed home. 

Turning point

Referee Kevin Friend soon took matters into his own hands, sending Billy Jones off for time-wasting. The right-back was taking his time over a throw-in and Friend was quick to dish out a second yellow card. Lifeline for Burnley. 

Iwelumo was the goal-getter for Burnley and he orchestrated a brilliant scissor-kick to pull a goal back. Graham Alexander's lofted pass still gave the striker a lot to do and his effort caught everyone by surprise. 

It was the same combination again for the quick-fire equaliser. 

Alexander found himself back in his old right-back position. His pinged ball into the box went straight to Iwelumo's head. The finish wasn't easy but the Scotland international managed to direct the ball into the far corner from the penalty spot. Game on!

A masterful comeback was completed in added-time.

Wallace took a quick corner before whipping a cross into the danger zone. A young Jay Rodriguez, fresh off the bench, was alive to the possibilities and he planted a header past Lonergan to send the home fans into dreamland. 


The result maintained Burnley's excellent home form and they sat in fifth. Preston continued to struggle and remained in the relegation places. 

It was probably the highlight of Laws' short tenure at Turf Moor.

Similarly, Ferguson didn't exactly build a legacy at Deepdale. This probably ranked as one of his worst derby memories, no doubt.