Peterborough United 0-3 Hull City: Poor posh humbled at home by terrific Tigers
Photo by Harriet Lander/Getty Images

Keane Lewis-Potter starred as Hull City strolled past a relegation-doomed Peterborough United in the Sky Bet Championship.

The two teams, who had battled for the Sky Bet League One title a few months ago, looked miles apart at the Weston Homes Stadium.

Tyler Smith poked home the opener before the dazzling Lewis-Potter grabbed a second half double with a long-range effort followed by a cute stab through Steven Benda’s legs.

  • Story of the game

Both teams were keen to get the ball forward as quickly as possible early on, but nothing was sticking to feet in the attacking areas.

Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges as neither team’s front men could get a touch of the ball.

Keane Lewis-Potter headed the ball over after the referee had played a good advantage with the first chance of note in the game. 

The Tigers grew into the encounter after the hosts started brightly, but couldn't get that final pass off. 

Harrison Burrows was dispossessed on the Peterborough right by Fleming, who drove into the box and passed the ball across the six yard area only for Frankie Kent to make an excellent block on Tyler Smith to deny a certain tap-in.

Moments later, the striker did hit the net from a move not to different from his earlier chance.

Burrows was dispossessed, Fleming drove into the box but, this time, Smith stole in front of Kent to tap in past Steve Benda for his first Championship goal this season.

It would have been two if it wasn’t for a good reaction save from the on-loan Swansea City stopper at the feet of Smith after more good work down the left.

Lewis-Potter was seeing a lot of the ball and he was having a lot of joy against Burrows who looked all out of sorts on the right of the Posh midfield.

The home side continued to see plenty of the ball as the half wore on but couldn’t muster anything more than a deflected Joe Ward effort from the edge of the box.

Peterborough needed to re-group at half time, but it was the visitors who doubled their lead through a sublime Lewis-Potter strike.

Ward lost the ball on the edge of the box and no-one closed down The Tigers academy graduate who rifled the ball across Benda into the back of the net.

Embed from Getty Images

Peterborough still had plenty of possession but only had one shot on target over the entire 90 minutes. 

Morton thought he should have had a penalty at one end before Hull killed the game off at the other.

Ollie Norburn's gave the ball straight to the brilliant Lewis-Potter who ran from the halfway line unchallenged and poked the ball straight through Benda’s legs.

Frankie Kent broke down the left from centre back to cross for Sammie Szmodics to tamely place a shot into the arms of Ingram for Peterborough’s first shot on target of the afternoon.

The visitors had done their job and sat right off for the final 15 minutes, which did invite Peterborough into the game a bit more.

Hayden Coulson, who replaced the struggling Burrows, looked the most likely in blue to create anything, hanging up a pair of crosses that still didn’t worry the visitors.

The game was reduced to walking pace in the final few minutes, as the travelling support serenaded their players as the home fans headed for the exits.

Hull controlled the ball until the end to send their hosts to the bottom of the table while they climbed 14 points clear of the drop zone. 

The teams

Peterborough United:

Benda; Knight, Edwards, Kent; Ward, Brown (Grant), Norburn, Burrows (Coulson); Szmodics, Morton, Marriott (Jade-Jones). 

Hull City:

Ingram; Jones, McLoughlin, Greaves; Fleming, Smallwood, Docherty (Huddlestone), Slater; Lewis-Potter, Smith (Wilks), Honeyman (Walsh).