Germany  U21s 3-1 Netherlands U21s: Germany clinical as Netherlands waste chances
Germany celebrate Maxi Meyer's goal, which put them 3-0 up at the time.

Germany started off strong as they looked to control the game from the start by dictacting the pace early on. Netherlands looked nervy early on, and didn't settle well when in possession of the ball. In the 12th minute, 19-year-old Chelsea prospect Nathan Aké lost the ball in his own half, which led to a German attack which included two one-two's by Amin Younes who went on to finish the move with a low shot which beat Van der Hart and rolled into the bottom corner.

In the next five minutes, Netherlands started to show more urgency about their play and looked like they could potentially create some problems for the German defence. However in the 21st minute, Heintz was given too much time and space on the ball and managed to score a 25-yard left-footed strike which went straight into the top corner of Van der Hart's near post.

Despite Germany dominating the early stages of the game, Netherlands managed to keep themselves in the game by creating multiple chances over the next ten minutes. In the 23rd minute, Dutch winger El Ghazi burst into the German penalty box with blistering pace, beating three players on the way, only to go down with after small contact with a German defender. The decision could have been given by the referee, but it would have been a very controversial decision, had it been given. Another chance was created in the 27th minute by the young Dutch side, a tremendous through ball was played through to Janssen who missed the one-on-one after a great save by ter Stegen.

After this, Netherlands had a long spell of possession, controlling the game, but failed to create any further chances.

Subsequently, Germany regained control of the game in the 34th minute after sitting off Netherlands for 12 minutes. This led to another well-worked German attack, which ended up in the penalty box at the feet of Maxi Meyer who glided to the side of a Netherlands defender with quick feet and finished the move off smartly with a low strike across the keeper which ended up in the bottom corner of the Netherlands net.

Afterwards, Netherlands kept control of possession well until half-time, but at a low tempo which limited the number of chances created by them. On the other hand, it was Germany's fast tempo and limited touches on the ball that led to plenty of high quality chances being created, which were being clinically finished by the efficent German side.

In the second half, Netherlands looked dangerous on the counter-attack. In the 49th mintue, El Ghazi went on a strong run from the halfway line, beating two Dutch defenders, then laying off to Boëtius, who had a shot saved well by ter Stegen. 

It was clear early on in the second half that Netherlands were more efficient with their use of the ball in the second half than they were in the first half.

On the 58th minute, Boëtius had another chance which he failed to convert, putting a glancing header, whilst under pressure from a German defender, wide of the goal. A minute later he came even closer, he played a one-two with Janssen and shot first-time only to have the attempt saved impressively by ter Stegen.

Over the next 12 minutes, Germany had a couple of half-chances but failed to be as clinical as they were in the first half, mainly due to the brilliant goalkeeping of Van der Hart. 

Whereas, Boëtius finally got his goal and took a chance in the 78th minute. A long ball by Netherlands was headed down by a German defender and he took it down on his chest, let it bounce and struck it on the half volley, which dipped over ter Stegen's head into the back of the net. It was a magnificent finish, which made it unfortunate to be just a consolation.

Germany saw out the game well, as they went on their way to win the friendly in a dominant fashion. A very impressive performance by a strong side which involved a lot of intricate play reminiscent to the German national side who won the World Cup earlier this year.