Schalke 04 2-1 Hertha BSC: Max Meyer wins it at the death
Image via Kicker

Hertha BSC thought they had stolen a point from the hosts this evening despite being down to ten men but Max Meyer made all their efforts for nought with a goal two minutes into stoppage time that sealed Schalke's 2-1 victory at the Veltins-Arena. 

Schalke got a couple of opportunities via the header in the opening ten minutes of the match but failed to capitalize on either. The first, in the seventh, came was initiated from the foot of Jean-Eric Choupo-Moting a step inside the penatly are was it found the head of Leon Goretzka. Three minutes later, it was the Argentine striker Franco di Santo who did not get enough power behind his effort as his fell calmly into the hands of Rune Jarstein. 

As the visitors were slowly growing into the match, while finding their rhythm going forward, Vedad Ibisevic was shown a straight red card as he sliced through Max Meyer rather harshly. Despite being down a man, Hertha are piling on pressure via the corner kick, winning a few in quick succession. 

Hosts find an early breakthrough 

Benedikt Höwedes hammered a header behind Jarstein off of a corner that was sent in by Johannes Geis. This was a deserved goal for Schalke as they were dominating most of the possession in the attackig third of the pitch.

Halftime: Schalke 04 1-0 Hertha BSC 

To start the second half, Leon Goretzka had two headers that could have put this match out of reach but failed to capitalize on either opportunities. His first was a free header that fell comfortably into the hands by Jarstein. The second header came after he made a great little run inside the penalty box before firing his effort wide of the far post. 

The former Bayern Munich man, Mitchell Weiser, should have leveled the score up on 67 minutes. His shot, unfortunately, slammed off of the far post with the Schalke defense nowhere to be found. 

Hertha level things up

In the 74th minute, the visitors finally leveled things up through Salomon Kalou as Mitchell Weiser floated a cross back towards the middle of the area where the Ivorian striker headed his effort into the back of the net. They kept pushing for a second goal and Fabian Lustenberger flicked on a header that forced Ralf Fährmann into making a save. 

Deep into stoppage time, Schalke found a match winner through Max Meyer although it was Leroy Sane who did all the hard work beforehand. The 19-year-old made a slashing diagonal run to get onto the end of of pass and continued the run towards the byline. With Jarstein off his line, the pass towards the goal scorer was redirected into the back of the net.