Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Foden strikes late to give City first leg advantage
(Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP) (Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images)

Manchester City will take a 2-1 lead into their second leg with Borussia Dortmund after an entertaining Champions League Quarter-Final first leg tie.

Kevin De Bruyne put City ahead in a first half which saw Dortmund have a goal harshly ruled out and the hosts have a penalty overruled by VAR at the Etihad Stadium.

Marco Reus then struck six minutes from time, and that looked enough to take a draw back to Germany but Phil Foden’s effort in the last minute of the 90 gave the Citizens a narrow win.

Team news

Pep Guardiola made five changes from the weekend’s Premier League win at Leicester, including the return of Foden, Ilkay Gundogan and John Stones whilst Bernardo Silva started as a false 9.

Dortmund interim boss Edin Terzic made a surprise selection after handing 19-year old Ansgar Knauff his first start for the club in one of three changes from their defeat to Frankfurt on Saturday.

De Bruyne breaks deadlock

After an entertaining start, it was Man. City who broke the deadlock after a mistake from Emre Can after 19 minutes. The midfielder gave away the ball in midfield and the hosts pounced.

De Bruyne released Foden down the left hand side, and his low ball across the six-yard box ran to Riyad Mahrez at the far post. With the angle against him, the winger opted to square the ball back across to De Bruyne, who continued his run forwards and he drove past Marwin Witz from inside ten yards.

There was then VAR controversy on the half hour mark when Rodri went down under a challenge from Can, and referee Ovidiu Hategan pointed to the penalty spot. It was a harsh ruling of a high foot - with Rodri stooping low to head the ball - and after the VAR check the referee changed his decision to give Dortmund a reprieve.

The Bundesliga side looked dangerous going forwards, with Mo Dahoud forcing Ederson into a smart save to his left before another contentious decision from Romanian referee Hategan.

BVB hard done by

Ederson was caught out with the ball at his feet and Jude Bellingham looked to have won it from the City keeper fairly, but the referee blew his whistle for a foul against the English youngster before he could put the ball into the empty net.

There was much anticipation surrounding Erling Haaland in the build up to the last-eight tie, and three minutes after half time he almost made his mark.

Dahoud fired the ball forward and the Norwegian striker shrugged off Ruben Dias but off balance, he saw his effort saved by the legs of the advancing Ederson.

City then had a huge chance to double their lead. De Bruyne did well to lose Mats Hummels down the right before cutting in and playing the ball across from the by-line to Foden, but his first time effort from a great position was kept out by the diving Hitz.

Foden then picked out De Bruyne, who after skipping past Can and Reus had room to drive forwards, but his low drive from 25 yards out went a foot wide of the bottom corner before Foden himself had an effort saved by Hitz after 76 minutes as City looked to double their lead.

Reus draws BVB level

But with six minutes to go Dortmund deservedly drew level. The impressive Bellingham found Haaland, who played a neat first-time ball through to Reus and with Ederson to beat he fired past the City keeper and into the bottom corner.

Late twist

However, there was to be a late twist. De Bruyne played a great ball forwards and Gundogan peeled off Thomas Meunier to tee up Foden, who side-footed the ball beyond the reach of Hitz and into the far corner.

And that strike gives City a slender lead heading into the second leg at Signal Iduna Park, with Dortmund demonstrating that despite their league form, they aren’t to be ruled out of the tie.